1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot delete files from/reformat a portable Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmbau, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmbau

jmbau Thread Starter

I have a portable (external) Hard Disk connected by USB which I've been using for backups. (A Ritmo, a year or two old which hs been functioning fine). However, it is now behaving badly and I don't know how to fix it.

Originally, I couldn't delete files from it (I've solved that). But I cannot copy any files to it, nor use the Format command to reformat the disk. I think this is what I should do to fix it and start again. (Am I right?)

I'm getting a persistent Windows error message:
    Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to save all the date for the file F:\$BitMap The data has been lost. ... Please try to save this file elsewhere.
    Other times it refers to a file called F:\$fFT (note that the HDD is mapped to F drive on my computer)
    I have no idea what these files are or where they might be.

Before this started, the HDD had got totally full. I was deleting lots of files to make room, and in fact have now deleted all of them (aroun 65 Gb in total). I'd much appreciate help if anyone can.

Sorry: should clarify. By 'behaving badly' I mean the problem is of very recent origin, and almost certainly caused by me. Before it got full and I deleted files and started mucking about, it was behaving perfectly. I don't know what to do next. I'd try FORMAT but I don't know which Volume parameters to choose.

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

3. jmbau

jmbau Thread Starter

No - looked there (thanks) but couldn't see anything.

But the thing seems to have sorted itself out... I just powered up and switched it on and it's now behaving itself just as it was before. I wish I knew what it was I did (if I did) that sorted it though.

4. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello jmbau. Don't knock it just breathe a sign of relief for now and wait for the next one to come along anyway you can mark your post as solved.

5. jmbau

jmbau Thread Starter

Yup - and thanks.

But to be safe, I went & bought another external HDD and spent the weekend configuring & testing backups on both drives. I'll have to test that the incremental backups are working properly over the next couple of months, but I now feel pretty good about my backup situation. (I work from home, so it's pretty important!).:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!