1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Delete Files in Vista...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TFerguson, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TFerguson

TFerguson Thread Starter

Trying to delete a video game .iso file from my computer. I keep getting the error message "windows cannot delete this file because it is being used in another program"...

I have tried several methods to no avail. I have tried:

1. Uninstalling the game
    2. Unmounting all virtual drives.
    3. Deleting all virtual drives.
    4. Uninstalling all ISO programs (Magic ISO, Dameon Tools etc.)
    5. Several Shutdowns and Reboots
    6. Booting in safe mode
    7. Creating a new admin account and trying to delete from there.
    8. Deleting with DOS (ran as Admin)
    9. Deleting with DOS (as Admin) with explorer.exe killed in Task Manager.

Basically everything I can think of. I get the same error message every time, even in DOS mode. I am pretty sure the file isn't being used by anything else, as I have deleted any program that can read .iso files. Since I downloaded the game on BitTorrent, I even went ahead and uninstalled BitTorrent and deleted all folders associated with BitTorrent in the event this might have something to do with the problem.

Also, the .iso file is functional. I played the game a few times and decided to delete it to free up some space on my hard drive, so I have no reason to suspect the file is corrupt, nor have I had any other problems with my computer. It just bugs me that I cant delete it.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. TFerguson

TFerguson Thread Starter

Unlocker couldn't find anything locking up the file. Any other ideas?

4. TFerguson

TFerguson Thread Starter

Ok. I found the problem. The Magic ISO virtual drive was apparently malfunctioning and would not unmount the image. When I uninstalled the virtual drives, I forgot to uninstall the RAID/SCSI host controller for the Magic ISO virtual drive. So basically when I removed the drive and rebooted, the drive would re-install at login. Once I got rid of the host controllers for the Magic ISO virtual drive, I was able to delete the file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice