1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot delete folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flasharry, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I have a folder on one of my memory sticks which is empty. When I try to delete the folder It says 'the directory is not empty'

any idea's guys??

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. sepala

sepala

or else use dos commands to remove it.

4. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

thanx guys..
    I d/l 'unlocker' followed instructions, but it didn't work.
    I'm a dummy at using 'dos' so I can't do that as well.
    I had two folders in my memory stick, and two movie files. I can delete the files but not the empty folders. I suppose I could just leave them there because they are not taking any room up.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Boot into safe mode and try deleting. What is the folder you are trying to delete?

Rollin

6. sepala

sepala

good question. Same thing could happen because of folder.exe virus

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

8. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I checked the thread AltBo, d/l the prog..nothing!!, it said can't delete the folder is empty...derrrr..I know the folder is empty!! ..lol perhaps I should put something in the folder, then try to delete it.
    I tried deleting them in 'safe' mode, nothing.
    the two folders in question had downloaded films in them. I deleted the films cos they wouldn't play on my Miromedia player. I renamed one ******* and the other folder renamed Music.
    So there they sit leering at me....LOL

9. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I copied a little film into one of the folders, then tried to delete the folder. the box came up saying, 'do you want to delete this folder and all it's contents?' I clicked 'yes' then up came the error box 'cannot remove this folder, the directory is not empty'
    but it did delete the film file.
    using the 'move on boot' facility from the prog I d/loaded, I rebooted, but the folder was still there..

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Open a Command Prompt.
    Change to the flash drive by typing cd /d drive, with drive being the flash and a space before and after /d (example: cd /d E:\) and press Enter.

Type rmdir /s /q "foldername path", with a space before and after /s and /q and the foldername path being the actual path of your folder wrapped in quotes ( example: rmdir /s /q "E:\My Folder") and press Enter.

If the folder still does not delete, post the exact message displayed on the command window.

11. sepala

sepala

(y)

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The "downloaded films" comment makes me suspect malware. When you download content legally from legitimate sites, you won't have any problems deleting it. Since what you downloaded doesn't actually play, I suspect it installed malware might be involved.

13. sepala

sepala

yes, agree

use dos "dir" command to check what is inside that folder

if they are not EMPTY, it will list something

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Does it matter what's inside? I think it should be deleted whether it contains malware or just an innocent file that's hanging.

15. sepala

sepala

he can make sure if there is virus or not by using that method. But yes, still some virus are not visible

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice