1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Delete Inbox e-mails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by peteryder, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peteryder

peteryder Thread Starter

windows xp Home Edition
    Outlook Express 6
    Hi I cannot delete e-mails from the in-box and often from Sent items too -- a window often shows up saying" cannot delete this file" although not every time. I have already followed the procedure setout in an earlier thread of deleting both the Sent.dbx and Inbox.dbx and this certainly works to clear the unwanted e-mails and when reloading OE6 new boxes are created. However, it does not clear the problem which is still there with the new folders. I have no problems clearing the Deleted items folder. Can anyone help please.

ps does anyone know how to transfer Favourites list in Mozilla Firefox to IE7

Thanks

2. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi peteryder,

Welcome to TSG!

If you go to your inbox, and drag and drop the email in question to your deleted items folder, and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
    Anthony

EDIT: forgot to ask, do the emails contain attachments?

3. peteryder

peteryder Thread Starter

Thanks anthony-P for such a prompt response but unfortunately this does not work. System simply says "file cannot be moved" I use free AVG anti-virus system and this seems to use the attachment icon to indicate that the e-mail has been checked and no virus found .
    However, in my outgoing e-mails no icon is attached. the problem first started in my In-box but is now happening in the Sent box too. Only a couple of emails had an attachment, most do not.

Thanks

4. Anthony:-P

Anthony:-P

Hi Peter,

Try doing a "compress". This will compress any attachments or files, enough, so that you can hopefully delete them.

To do this go to:
    Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Clean Up Now -> Compact

Regards,
    Anthony

5. peteryder

peteryder Thread Starter

Thanks once again Anthony but compressing files does not work either.

A further problem has now arisen in that my system has now deleted the folder containing all the Outlook folders -- i e from Application/Indentities to inbox.dxb. I thought that by re-loading IE6 that I would re-create the missing folders but my system says this cannot be done on account of the fact that Windows set up has detected a newer version on my PC -- I did have IE7 installed previously for a few days but deleted it. I have also tried deleting my current instalation of IE6 and then re-load it but again my system will not let me do this claiming the programme is being used by another person or program which it definitely is not.

Any ideas:( :( :(

6. jmasters

jmasters

just a suggestion. try using ms outlook instead of express.

7. Joggie721

Joggie721

Please try this. If outlook express is being scaned by your AV program please exclude any folders for outlook express this most likely has 2 folders C:\Program Files\Outlook Express and C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data

also about the uninstalling of IE and what not it is most likely that there is a process running that has not stoped yet. close all internet explorer windows and any Windows explorer windows and then hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click on Task Manager. Then click on the processes tab and look for iexplorer.exe and end this process or if there is more than one please end them too. Then try installing again if you still have the files if not try using Firefox to download them.

Over all it sounds like your having a permissoins issue with the account or because the files are being locked up and used by other programs such as AV software or Back up Software. Let us know the results.

8. peteryder

peteryder Thread Starter

Hi Joggie

Many thanks for your input. I followed your instructions fully via Task Manager and even got a copy of windows XP from which to extract OE 6 again which I did successfully. However, I am afraid that it has not made any difference at all. I still cannot delete these files.

Meantime I have installed Firefox Thunderbird e-mail programme so at least I am up and running again whilst still trying to correct outlook. BTW I find Thunderbird an excellent programme but much more fiddly to use than Outlook Express -- have you ever used this?

thanks again

Peteryder

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi peteryder

Try creating a new Identity in Outlook Express to see if the issue still persists.

In Outlook Express, Create a new Identity:
    File > Identities > Add New Identity
    Name the Identity
    Click Yes when asked if you want to switch to the new Identity.
    Cancel out of Importing or Upgrading if the option is given.
    Recreate your E-mail account.

Send yourself a Test message, then see if you can delete it.
    If everything works as it should the messages from your original Identity can be Imported into the new Identity and the original Identity's message store (.dbx files) can then be deleted and the original Identity removed from Outlook Express.

Let us know if the new Identity works for you or not.

10. peteryder

peteryder Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler

many thanks for your suggestions A clever guy I know already had my pc by now and did exactly what you suggested about creating new identities and yes it has worked a treat !! Many thanks for your help. I will save this information incase it ever happens again. Thanks too to all the other guys who gave me their input the support from everyone has been greatly appreciated.

All the best :) :) :) :) :)

Peteryder

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice