1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot delete Office 2007 which was never downloaded!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rwill, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

My work computer has a variety of problems. We have no tech guy, so I need help! I have Microsoft office word 2003. When I go to my add/remove programs, it shows that I have Office Word 2007. That program was never put onto my computer. So when I go to delete it, it does nothing. I went to a component (Security update for Word 2007), tried to delete it and got this message: This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package." I don't know if they are related, but I cannot download any microsoft updates to my computer anymore either. I get this message: "The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database." I have removed 2003 and reloaded it, but nothing has changed. I am NOT computer smart, so any help has to be in language and steps that I can hopefully understand. Thanks for your help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What exactly is the entry in Add/Removed named? Is it possible tha an update for 2007 was installed?

It may be best to remove 2003 and then work on removing 2007 so that you can delete items manually without damaging the 2003 installation.

Is this causing any problems? If not, just ignore it. Office is a very complex program and efforts to make changes could have unexpected and undesirable results.

It is also possible that 2007 was not installed in its entirety, but that a "reader", like the Powerpoint reader, was installed. Do you have any of those independent programs?

3. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

The exact entry in the Add/Remove is named 2007 Microsoft Office System. Then under that are 11 "sub-entries" (that's what I would call them anyway):) that are mostly security updates for 2007, and then the last thing is "Activation Assistant for 2007 Microsoft Office Suites". Then when I looked farther down the list, I found Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 SP1 and Compatability Pack for the 2007 Office System. As far as someone installing a 2007 update; that's possible. The boss has someone else do the updates at the beginning of the year (or he does them himself), but neither are what I would call "Tech" people. I didn't think it was causing a problem and hadn't worried about it, but now something is periodically not allowing me to "cut and paste" from email attachments in Word to another program I use in my job. (Specifically, I cannot always paste to a Braille Translation program that I have been using for years). So I thought maybe the 2007 was the issue. May not be at all. Don't know where else to start. As far as readers, if I understand what you mean, the only one I think I have is the Adobe reader? Thanks for your help so far!

4. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

5. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

6. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

OK, I finally got it installed (after a few tries), and the only program it showed that had to do with Microsoft Office 2007 was the Activation Assistant for 2007 Microsoft Office Suites. I deleted it from the list, shut down and restarted my computer, and it as well as the whole other Office 2007 stuff that was listed before, is still there. (But it is no longer on the list of the Installer Cleanup) When I click on the Activation assistant to try to remove it, the installation wizard comes up and tries to install it. Ultimately it comes up with an error that says "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package." Error code 2755
    Don't know if this is part of the problem too, but whenever I start my computer (for about a week since I tried installing updates from Microsoft) I get 3 error messages, all are "Entry point not found". They all say "The procedure entry point ____ could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll." The blank is filled with each of the following: apsGetInterfaceCount, apsApply, and aps.Initialize. Is it time to throw the computer out of the window now?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Could be that the machine did come with Office 2007 and was removed before you got it. But the removal was NOT done properly and you have the resulted mess.

8. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

Thanks Dave! I don't think it did, it was bought new a year ago, and I didn't start having problems until this year when other people from other buildings who just got 2007 on their computers emailed me work to be transcribed. And it has just gone downhill since then. At first it wouldn't let me open the attachments that were sent using 2007, then I found if I tried to open them and couldn't, if I closed out and tried again, sometimes they would open. Now I can't do simple processes like cut and paste that worked fine a month ago. My boss says we've never had 2007 on here and our business doesn't own it, so we didn't put it on. If indeed the computer happened to come with it, I know I have never attempted to take it off, (until now) and my boss says he hasn't, and as we are the only 2 who have access to this particular computer, I am still confused. I really appreciate all the ideas and help though.

9. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

The computer may have come with MS Office on it, but not activated. Look in your folders in the Program Files and Program Data folders and see if there are any folders relating to Office 11 or Office 12. Office 11 is MS Office 2003 and Office 12 is MS Office 2007. That should tell you if Office was on the computer and there are left over files.

Your original post was Oct. 10. If you know when you began "messing with" the install/uninstall business, go back to a Windows restore point just prior to that and do a Windows system restore.

Going back to your first post, about "patch package" - that would be an installed update, often called a patch, that was installed after Office 2007. Those installed updates need to be uninstalled before the installer can uninstall the original package. If you are confident about what you are doing, Try uninstalling any KB------ updates that are named directly relating to Office 2007 before uninstalling Office 2007.

Office 2003 and Office 2007 can exist on the same system. I have both and have no problems with either.

10. itsmanaged

itsmanaged

I came across PC with this problem - it turned out to be a virus (Several actually) that had hijacked the machine.

I strongly recommend you run an AntiVirus scan with a newly updated AV engine. If possible run it in safe mode and in detection mode only - see below.

If you suspect your AV has been compromised (as was the case with the PC I worked on), download clamwin AV (It's free and very effective), set it up to report only (reason below), make sure it has the latest signatures and run it in safe mode.

If it is the same viruses I found, removing the virus will render your machine inoperable. If viruses are found, I suggest you back up and seek professional help in recovering it. - it is a doozy.

11. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all who wrote to help me out. I think the viruses may be part of my problem at least. I ran the clamwin AV (which, if anyone else does this, allow a long time for this to scan....mine took a little over 2 hours) and I ended up with a report that I don't understand, but I hope to show it to someone who does. If anyone out there understands this and wants to give me a heads up, I would appreciate that too! The report had 8 entries that said "permission denied" after them: one was hiberfil.sys, one was pagefile.sys, and the other 6 were windows\system 32\CatRoot2, config\default, config\SAM, etc. Under the Scan summary itself, it showed known viruses: 437414, but then under infected files it had 0.
    Oh, and I did look in the Program Files and show both Office 11 and Office 12. I'm guessing I should leave all that alone?? I have not tried to uninstall anything else because I'm not confident in what I am doing.

12. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Backup and reformat. It's going to be MUCH quicker than trying to take a virus (and or multiple permutations) off. That is, IF you have a virus.

13. rwill

rwill Thread Starter

Thanks Zack. I'll try that.

14. itsmanaged

itsmanaged

The files reported with permission denied are normally not accessible, so this is normal - that fact that you got zero infections means just that - your system is clean as far as clamwin is concerned. It is important to update clamwin and run it in safe mode though, so just checking you did that?
    Clamwin does take time - how else can it be thorough?

15. itsmanaged

itsmanaged

I agree Zack, and in fact this maybe the only practical solution, but if there are viruses and they are recovered along with the other backed up files to the newly installed system - that generally will take days to get right in - what is the gain?

You must check that the files that you intend to back up are virus free.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice