1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot delete old C drive ..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ellabbs, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

hi.. i have an old drive 320 gig which used to be my main drive untill something went wrong . then i just replaced it with another drive installed windows and off i went again...

now ive got my old drive set up, and the files i want have all been nicely put in a KEEP folder, i want to delete everything else on the drive , ie.. the old windows directory, the program files directory etc etc .... but .. you guessed it ... there locked, and its prooving a tad annoying to delete them one by one using an unlocker programme...

i tried closing explorer down with a dos window open and delteing from there, but it still wouldnt let me delete all the files....still access denied.

hope someone comes up with an answer soon ..

many thanks

andy

2. johnd295

johnd295

Have you booted into safe mode then tried to delete?

3. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

OMG its that simple i forgot .. ok .. doing it now.... ill get back in ten mins..

thanks

andy

4. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

ok .. tried that and a dialog box comes up saying "trustedinstaller needs permission " to allow me to delete anything. or words to that effect.... ive looked into some permision dialog boxes and there all greyed out, so i cant change any permissions simply...

5. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

6. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

ok .. that works if you have 1 or 2 files that are locked.. but i have 100 gig....ill be here till 2014.

any ideas guys

7. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

ok .. that works if you have 1 or 2 files that are locked.. but i have 100 gig....ill be here till 2014.

any ideas guys

8. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,you say you have saved everything off this drive,can't you go to disc management and delete the partition(s)

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try a bootable CD. The fact that the new installation detects Windows on that old drive will make some things undeletable. If you have a page file on that drive, that is also a blocker. But a Linux-based OS will have no problem deleting those files and folders when Windows is not running.

Try Ubuntu, or:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

(As the others have said, if you have copies of everything on that drive, it is best to repartition and reformat it.)

11. dai

dai

the mbr is likely on the original drive which is causing the problem

take the power plug out of the original drive

it probably will not boot so you will have to boot from the 7 dvd and run repair so it can put the mbr on the new drive

you should then be able to put the plug back reboot and do what you wish to the drive

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is already a MBR on the new drive (see OP's first paragraph in original post). If the partition on the old drive is Active that could prevent partition deletion, but neither that nor an MBR should impact deleting files/folders.

13. dai

dai

i read it as he put in a new drive and installed windows on it,without removing the original drive first

and then putting it back once windows were installed on the new drive

the new install would have then used the mbr on the original drive

it is simple enough to check,just remove the power plug from the old drive and see if the computer boots into windows

if the mbr is on the second drive he could drag the folder over to the new drive

wipe the old drive with killdisk or dban

format the drive

then move the folder back again

14. ellabbs

ellabbs Thread Starter

the problem was that i needed a 100 gig file on the drive... so i wanted to delete the old windows directory and program file directories.... the drive was from another machine. it was the trustedinstaller that was making life hell.... in the end i moved the file to another hdd and formatted the drive, then put it back... just as you suggested dai..

thanks guys..

andy

15. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice