Solved: cannot detect modems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bryantville

I am having trouble detecting the factory installed modems on this computer...I have been using a MiFi with a wireless receiver installed into a USB port, but am trying to give my mom this computer to use with her DSL...The computer is a few years old and I don't have any disks nor do I know in what port the modem is installed nor do I know what the name of the modem is. I went to the Dell website and looked up what modem came with the computer when I got it, then downloaded the driver for that...about a year ago, I had someone reinstall my operating system and the drivers, but I think I told him that I didn't need the modem driver.

Can anyone pretty please help me??

bryantville

ok, but is there not a modem inside the computer to which the dsl cable connects??

bryantville

I downloaded that program, i'm not sure what to do next...

another part of this delimma is somewhere in my clicking, is that I got the message "verify that the interrupt port is properly set", I looked at the instructions in another thread for how to check that, but I don't know how to find out which port the modem is on.

DoubleHelix

Banned
No, there's no modem inside the computer. If the external DSL modem connects via Ethernet, then the computer needs a network adapter. If it connects via USB, then you need drivers for the DSL modem.

I have no idea why How'dIdoThat directed you to that download.

bryantville

thanks, for that info...ok, it connects via the DSL cord that plugs into the back of the computer...How do i get a network adapter...how bout the guy at the DSL provider said I need a driver...what driver???

bryantville

Problem:

I'm trying to connect to the internet...can't figure out how to use the DSL on this computer.

also, it worked fine on the old crappy computer that I'm trying to replace

DoubleHelix

Banned
I have no idea what a "DSL cord" is. It's either an Ethernet cable or a USB cable.

Give us the make and model of this computer.
If you know what an Ethernet port looks like, tell us if you have one, or just look in Device manager under Network adapters.

bryantville

it must be the ethernet port/cable, because it's not a usb port and one end is plugged into the "dsl modem and the other end is connected into the back of the computer.

Dell Dimension C 521.

bryantville

i went into device manager, then Ethernet controller, then told it to install the driver, and it said that i do not have the necessary software...

bryantville

I can't find anything that says ethernet driver....

my service tag number is ... bxc89c1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online