1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot dosplay ANY webpage - "Resource won't accept the connection"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Pathxl, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

I just purchased a used laptop. Runs great, love it. Right up until I try to go online. It came with both Explorer 9 & Safari. It is running Win 7 Home Premium. It is an Acer Aspire 5732Z. It says It is connected to my WIFI & the wireless indicator is on. I get Safari's version of the same message I get from Explorer. The error message reads "Explorer cannot display the webpage". Connection Diagnosis comes up with "The device or resource will not accept the connection". The laptop was not cleaned out very well, it appears only personal files were deleted. The last thing done on it was update downloads. (I know this because the battery was dead when I got it & the first thing it did when plugged in was "resume" windows & install updates. The computer I am on is old & SLOW & dying slowly & (for me) painfully. I can't afford to ship it back & take the 20% loss, but I NEED to be able to get on the net to work. Any ideas? Questions? Suggestions?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If Windows was not installed fresh (or "recovered to factory defaults") that would be my first move. Then install all the latest drivers (beginning with the chipset) from Acer's web site.

3. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

I did not get any disks with it. If I can figure out how to 'recover' Windows 'to factory defaults' will I lose other programs? There are some I would like to uninstall, but some I would like to keep.

4. valis

valis Moderator

yes, a reset will do exactly that, restore it to factory defaults.

5. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

Let me test my understanding... If I do a full Windows reset/restore I will lose all the added programs, updates, settings and any upgrades there might be, but it will fix my connection problem? I just tried playing a DVD & discovered the drive isn't even being recognized. (not playing, not showing up on win explorer). Should it fix that too?

6. valis

valis Moderator

It is a factory restore; it will roll out exactly as it left the factory. No apps other than what MS put on, no data other than it had from day one.

7. valis

valis Moderator

I havent the foggiest if it will fix the connection problem. It may, it may not. You will need to re-install all drivers from jump, so it may.

8. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

Thank you for your honesty. I have never had a factory spec computer, so forgive my ignorance. I have no disks, Windows or otherwise. Will I need any for the restore? Or should it boot up & run & be internet ready without any extras?

9. valis

valis Moderator

No, it will need all drivers installed. First one is obviously the ethernet, as then you can get the rest.

10. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

So I will need to have a Windows? Disk?

11. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

Let me rephrase. What exactly will I need to have on hand to do a full 'factory reset/restore' of Windows 7 in order to have a working, running, internet ready computer?

12. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

Will the Ethernet drivers already be there but need to be installed (along with maybe other drivers)? Or will I need a disk of some sort?

13. valis

valis Moderator

Again, there will be no drivers on this machine. All data that is currently on there will be lost. To get to the internet you will need ethernet, video, sound, chipset, what have you. What I usually do is take a look at the drivers I have on the rig, and then go to the mfg's site and download them to a thumbdrive for when I reformat.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We, and probably you, do not know which of your problems are software corruption and which are defective hardware. If you "recover to factory defaults" and install the latest drivers (beginning with the chipset) from Acer's web site and install all Windows updates you will have good software. Any problems at this point are almost definitely hardware.

If you cannot boot into the Recovery partition you may be able to still buy a set of Recovery disks from Acer. Or, if you can still read the exact Windows 7 version and Product Key (do not post it here) from the COA sticker we can post the Microsoft web site for getting an installation copy.

15. Pathxl

Pathxl Thread Starter

Thank you, that was more or less what I needed to know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice