1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot download files which are immediately cancelled

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dieterschmied, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dieterschmied

dieterschmied Thread Starter

I am using the browser Mozilla Firefox which has not been upgraded for a year. When I attempt to manually upgrade, the file is designated as cancelled. I reload the file and the cancelled designation goes away, but the file will not open or run. This also occurs with other programs that I have attempted to download and run.
    I am only (I think) running Microsoft Security Essentials for protection.

When I attempt to upgrade Firefox, the program searches for upgrades and continues forever with no results. I am using version 10 and the current version is at 18. I tried to just reload Firefox and I get the same results: the little icon spins and spins but never times out.

I tried to reset the download folder as per a solution that came from Firefox, but it had no effect.
    My operating system is XP with the level 3 upgrade.

If you have a solution, please state it in English and not computereese.

Thank You

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

Try downloading the new version of Firefox with Internet Explorer. Once you downloaded it, uninstall the old version from control panel and install the new version.

3. dieterschmied

dieterschmied Thread Starter

I essentially did that and it seem to have worked. Is there a flaw in Firefox? Why did it do that?

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

There is a chance any of the files from the old version got corrupted by any issue in your computer, or probably a programming bug on Firefox.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!