1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot file share. Permission denied

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ron40, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I have a desktop running win xp & an HP pavillion laptop running vista. I have been doing file sharing for some time but now i suddenly get the following error msg on the xp:

\\<folder on the vista pc>\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

On the laptop running vista i get:

\\<folder on xp pc>\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
    Notice the added line about server storage

I am the administrator & have never installed any passwords. All the folders are set to share mode. There is 20GB available on the laptop & 82 GB available on the XP.
    I found some info on the net & tsg about & used regedit to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
    & changed the IRPStackSize to 15 on each pc. FYI: the irpstacksize line was not in either registry but I followed instruction to add it. It didn't work
    I have been at this all day & am totally out of ideas.

FYI: I installed some new software in the last week:
    Acronis true image home 2009"
    ERUNT
    JVC power tools 2009
    I used Acronis to make an image of my C:/ drive, & a boot disk (dvd). I have been backing up my registry with ERUNT & nothing with JVC.
    HELP

Ron

2. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I am running windows XP professional on the desktop

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

- Start, Run, REGEDIT
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
    - Edit the IRPStackSize
    - Set it to a DWORD value of 15 (or more, valid range 11-50)
    - NOTE: If IRPStackSize doesn't exist, create a new DWORD entry for it
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    - Set the PagedPoolSize to 0
    - Exit REGEDIT and reboot

4. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Hi Johnwill;

Thanks for replying. I had a feeling that would be the 1st suggestion. As I said in my post i changed the irpstacksize to 15 & it did nothing. 'The pagedpoolsize has been set to 0.

My feeling at this point of the saga:
    Before my post I spent many hours trying to fix it myself, especially since it was working before. Google searches gave me lots of ideas. None worked.I finally posted on tsg's network forum & realized, after reading earlier posts, that this particular problem is very common & difficult to solve. And it takes up a substantial number of the forum questions. Some are lucky, most are not. It seems to me that most of the info tsg can send me is already posted & I'll probably do just as well reading it myself. I'm willing to try suggestions, of course, but am leaning towards taking it to a repair shop. I feel like sisyphus, trying to roll that rock up the hill only to have it roll down again.
    Thanks for your help

Ron

5. Curly

Curly

Default is 15. Try upping the IRPStackSize value by 3 each time. But do not go over 32.

6. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Hi Curly:

I increased the irpstacksize on both pcs to 21 & lo & behold, I could look at my desktop from my laptop & open the files. I wanted to do this because the main pc (desktop) is in the basement & my wife has difficulty navigating the stairs. Now I can show her pictures, emails, home videos from upstairs withouit having to copy them. This was my original goal. However, unfortunately, i can't do the opposite, i.e. look at the laptop from my desktop even thouigh i increased the value to 31 on both pcs. . Now that i've done this, however, i'm kind of obsessed with the the 2nd part. Why can't i do it? However, I've got to consider my sanity & put this off for a while. Therefore, I'll mark this post "solved" & give a heartfelt thanks to Curly & johnwill for your help. The world need more people like the tsg gang.

Ron

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice