1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot find 35Gb on C Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WAJ0606, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WAJ0606

WAJ0606 Thread Starter

Lenovo Thinkpad x60 Tablet---Windows XP SP2

I have 93GB's of usable space on the HD. Approx 10Gb show up as free when I right click the C drive and go to properties. My folders on the C Drive total approx. 45GB. I've both right clicked on the folders and used TreeSizer to get this total. I've checked diskmanagement and the drive is not partitioned.

WHAT AM I MISSING? Where could the other 35 GB's be?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. WAJ0606

WAJ0606 Thread Starter

I have ran chkdsk and defragmented. 35GB is a lot and seems like this would be something obvious I am overlooking. The machine is less than 6 months old.

The basic question is where could space be allocated on the C drive (according to it's properties) when it's not in the root directory folders?

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Lets get disk management running and take a serious look at that disk. From 'My computer right click select manage. Look for storage and then inside it's drop down you'll find disk management. Now it will show you 1) how many disks 2) their state 3) if they are fomatted and 4) whether on not it's allocated.

Take a look and see if you can't determine where your 35 GB is from here.

5. WAJ0606

WAJ0606 Thread Starter

See attached for results

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Now your saying you missing 35gb and the treeview does indicate that.
    It also shows some RRbackups folder (access denied). Do you know what that is?
    Any chance your missing GB's is in there?

7. WAJ0606

WAJ0606 Thread Starter

8. WAJ0606

WAJ0606 Thread Starter

The repair and recovery program created backups in that RR backups folder. I think this comes standard on all Thinkpads. To access the files you have to open the program where you are given options to delete or move the backups in addition to other typical settings.

9. Dan O

Dan O

WAJ0606,

Very cool, thanks for sharing the information.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!