1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot find wireless networks without rebooting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vahrion, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vahrion

vahrion Thread Starter

I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop's wireless internet connection.

When i'm online, everything is hunky dory. However, when I leave the laptop for a while, (I don't even need to close the laptop) it goes to sleep. A few hours later, i'll come back and press the power button to bring it out of its slumber. After logging back into the user account, the laptop is no longer able to find any of the networks it normally detects - as if I had turned off the wireless detection.

Currently, I need to reboot the computer every time for it to detect networks, and then I need to reset the connection by pressing the button behind the Seimens router/modem.

Can someone help me?
    -V

2. Nemo2000

Nemo2000

Are you running on mains power or battery? If the latter, then you may find that the laptop's power management utility has been configured to shut off the WiFi adaptor after a certain amount of time in order to conserve battery power.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter. If it is an integrated adapter the driver should be from your PC manufacturer's web site. Otherwise there's probably not much you can do other than trying another adapter. Or never let the PC go into Sleep or Hibernation.

When I run into this issue my workaround is to disconnect (using the wireless switch for an integrated adapter) before Sleep/Standby/Hibernation.

4. vahrion

vahrion Thread Starter

Solved. Flipping off the wireless switch before putting the laptop to sleep works.

Thanks TerryNet

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Remembering to switch it off is a little bother, but sure beats a reboot!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice