1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot get online

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bfisher4, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

My Compaq Presario laptop is four years old. Wireless switch broke about a year ago and I have been using a USB wireless adapter to get online. Suddenly that does not allow me to get online. I have changed wireless adapters, tried a different router that I know is OK all to no avail.
    When I connect the laptop directly from the modem using the modem and cable that I works for my desktop I still cannot get online.
    Comcast personnel checked their end and tell me it is the fault of the laptop.
    Please tell me what I might try to get the laptop to get online.
    Bill

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to tsg:
    Any hardware/software changes?
    Have you run your security app to see if any spyware/virus?
    When you try to connect,any error msgs ?
    When you direct connected to the modem,did you do a power on reset of the modem?
    The let's see these things:
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

Device Manager shows nothing under Network Adapters.
    Belarc , which lists all components and hardware in the PC says "None listed" under the heading Network Adapters.
    Bill

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried to do a system restore to a point prior to the problem ?

5. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

I have tried system restore several times to no avail.
    I have backed up all my files to an external hard drive.
    I tried to install the recovery disks that I created as exactly as instructed when I bought the beast. I get to the second disk and it rejects it telling me it does not not recognize it.\
    Is there a means for me to download a driver for the missing network adapter into my desktop PC and then create a disk to install into the laptop to serve as a network adapter?
    Bill

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Well.two ways to do that:
    Download it to a working pc,write it to a blank disk and then ,inset that disc on the problem pc and save it on ,my choice is desktop,but wherever you save it write it down for future reference,so when you are asked where the new driver is,you will know what to respond.
    And if you have a working lan connection,download it directly to the problem pc. save it same as above.

7. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

Is the Network Adapter hardware or software? Will a driver install the missing element if I can find it and download it to my desktop? Will it screw up my desktop thinking it belongs there? I thought of trying it before but was skeptical about mucking up the desktop.
    I guess I don't have any other alternative but to give it a shot- - - better than 50% success?
    Bill

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

No.It will not mess up your desktop.You are downloading and saving it to the desktop folder and you will create a disc from that folder.
    What is the presario model #

9. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

The presario model number is F572US.
    I get to the Compaq (HP) web page to download the network driver and get SP 38119.exe . Should I download the network driver or the internet driver?
    My laptop is in Atlanta and I am in Ft Myers, FL- - visited there and a friend of a friend said he could fix it last Xmas. He has determjned that it cannot be fixed and I should scrap it. I do not give up that easily. Friend says he will return it soon (I hope).
    I believe it can be fixed -- perhaps with your insight! New laptops cost $400+ and that is not in my ballpark at this time.
    Thank you,
    Bill

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No such thing as an "internet driver". Drivers are a way for hardware to communicate with your operating system. You need to download and install a driver for your network adapter, which is hardware. You have to install this on the computer that has that hardware in it. Since you're downloading the driver on a different computer, you'll have to save it to something like a flash drive and then transfer it to the other computer and install it.

11. pedroguy

pedroguy

12. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

I downloaded from my desktop it to a disc and will install it to the laptop when it is returned to me by a friend in Atlanta- - I am in Ft Myers ,Fl
    Thanks,
    Bill

13. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

I now have the laptop returned from a friend in Atlanta
    I downloaded the drivers you mentioned from Compaq onto a disk in my desktop and have now loaded it to the laptop.
    In device mgr and under network adapter I now have this appearing- -( nothing showed prior to the download).
    802.11 USB wireless LAN card
    NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    Both show to be working properly when highlighted.
    I can get online if I direct connect from the modem to the laptop but cannot get online by wireless thru the router. I tried a new router to no avail. Took it back to get my $$ back!
    The wireless switch on the laptop does not work so I am using a USB wireless adapter - - I have also tried a different adapter to no avail.
    Seem to be getting closer yet not at the finish line.
    Thanks,
    Bill

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:So now let's see,from post #2:
    Device manager and the ipconfig /all
    And let's make sure that all necessary network tasks are started :

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser (computer browser will start when needed)
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic
    If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

15. bfisher4

bfisher4 Thread Starter

All services on your list are listed as "started" except:
    *COM+Event System (for WZC issues)---listed as manual
    *Wireless Zero AutoConfig is not listed nor anything resembling it.
    Bill

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice