1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cannot get out of selective startup into normal startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kenped, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenped

kenped Thread Starter

I have been running 98SE without serious incident for two years. But for some reason when I start up now I am getting the old startup menu instead of going directly into normal startup. I have gone into msconfig and the "selective startup" button is selected. I change it to "normal startup" click the "apply" button and click OK. I say yes to the restart, but after restart the black screen menu comes up again and I have to select option one, "normal" to get going. When I go back to msconfig the "selective startup" button is once again highlighted. I have recycled many times, but nothing changes. In other words, the system will not accept my request to return to normal startup mode without going through the menu routine each time. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Bryan

Bryan

Go back to Msconfig and then click on the "Advanced" tab. You should see an option for "Enable Startup Menu". Remove the checkmark, click on OK, restart Windows and you should be fine.

Let us know what happens.

3. kenped

kenped Thread Starter

Bryan: Your suggestion cleared up the problem immediately. Many thanks.

4. amthmi

amthmi

My question would be...
    How did Enable Startup Menu get checked ?
    It seems kenped would have remembered checking
    that box.
    Just thinking out loud.

5. Bryan

Bryan

I doubt it was manually selected through Msconfig. My guess is some software install or uninstall put an older copy of Msdos.sys back in place.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84344