1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot get past Windows User Name/Password during software installation

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cuttlefish, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    I have installed a speech-to-text software application and during the initial setup it asks me if I want to participate in data collection to be sent to the company to improve the application etc.

When I click on either the Yes or the No, I get prompted for my Windows User name and Password. I enter the ones that appear on the Windows Welcome screen ( and work!) but an error message pops up saying that "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done".

The application setup menu says that "currently your Administrator (me) has not been configured to run data collectiuon at a scheduled time. Press Configure to correct this issue", but doing so only gets the user name/pasword prompt again.

I have been into the User and Computer Management on Control Panel and ticked pretty well everything I can find to let me do whatever I like as an Admin but still no joy.

Searching through HELP advises that it is the Task Scheduler asking for these details. I remember that on XP you could somehow disable Task Scheduler from working but can't seem to find it on Vista Home Premium.

So is there someway to get around this as I feel I am missing a step somewhere ..........?

Thanks all!

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Found that the User name is really SYSTEM even though I have used my normal log in name - duh!

Anyhow all fixed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!