1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Install Shared Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by danmcman, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

I have a small office LAN that is running a Windows Server 2000 domain with a few XP SP2 workstations (Workstation B is located here) and a separate Workgroup (Server A is located here) for the rest of their XP SP2 PC's. Right now, I'm having trouble installing a shared printer, connected to Server A (Windows Server 2003) via USB, on the Workgroup TO Workstation B on the Domain.

From Workstation B, I can see the shared printer on Server A and can access file shares hosted there with no problem. When I right click on the shared printer from explorer and click Connect.., I get this error popup:
    I tried installing the printer by going through the Add Printer wizard, Network Printer, and using the IP of the server with the share name of the printer (ie. \\192.168.1.2\HPShared) and get the exact same error message. I tested that the printer is connected and installed correctly on Server A by successfully printing a test page from the Server itself. File and Print Sharing are enabled on both computers. I can read/write on the file shares on the server from the workstation, so connectivity is not an issue.

I'm stumped on this one guys. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This office is a whole State away from me, so stuff I can try through my VNC viewer is preferable, but I can still get someone over there to help out if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

Anyone have ideas or have had similar problems? I realize there are a slew of things that could be affecting this.

3. axis77

axis77

this might be a dumb question but , dont you have to add the user to the printers security for sharing since its on a workgroup? dont you have to add that user to the workgroup's server users first? what i dont get is that you can view the workgroups servers shares and the printer but cant access it? that sounds like you already added or created a user on the workgroups server?

4. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

The security on the Printer has the "Everyone" user with full ownership control, no security on it at all. That should eliminate the need to add a user on the workgroup server for the domain user.

5. danmcman

danmcman Thread Starter

Finally got it to install, the problem had nothing to do (I think) with the mixed domain/workgroup environment. It took me authenticating with the server after searching for it using the DNS name of the server (eg. \\MyServer), using a local account on the server. After that, bada-bing, printing to the shared printer!!!

Thanks for the suggestions axis77 :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice