1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot logon to XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ryantx34, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryantx34

ryantx34 Thread Starter

Hello this is my first post so bare with me,

I installed a third party software "logon loader" to change my logon picture.
    Well after i changed it and rebooted my laptop it brought me as far as the logon screen but all that is there is a small window from logon loader that says i didn't select anything. So i am unable to logon. I have tried booting in safemode with and without cmd promt and it does the same thing. No keystrokes work here either, ie ctrl+alt+del, Is there any way to bypass my logon all together so i can uninstall this program?

Thanks,

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Looks like a repair installation time.

Sometimes, these logon tweakers add an entry to the boot.ini so you may be able to fix it by editing that.

Do you have a floppy drive?

3. ryantx34

ryantx34 Thread Starter

No i dont have a floppy. So i need to run a repair installation?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try booting with your XP CD in the drive, but do not press any key when it tells you to press any key to boot from CD.

If that doesn't work, burn this iso to CD and try booting with that. It contains an alternative boot.ini and may get you in:

XP Sysboot CD Image

How To Write ISO Files To CD

Free ISO burning apps:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)
    [email protected] ISO Burner
    EasyISO
    BurnISO
    ISOBurn
    ISO Recorder for XP (Uses XP's burner and adds context menu - Vista version also available.)

5. ryantx34

ryantx34 Thread Starter

ok thanks, ill try these out

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What was the specific program you used? Maybe we can figure out what changes it made.

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Why are you using a 3rd party app just to change the login picture?? XP can do that by design??

8. ryantx34

ryantx34 Thread Starter

I was using the program called "logon loader" v 3.0 i think. I tried booting with the cd in drive and that didn't work but.... I did a repair reinstall and that did the trick.

Why did i use a third party software? well im not a programmer and i sure dont consider myself a professional with computers so i didn't know that there was something you could do inside of windows to change that. (besides messing with the registry, and i try to stay away from that)

Thanks for the help Elvandil!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice