1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Maximize Wikipedia Images

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by NeoBix, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I've been using Vista for a little over a month now and I've encountered a problem just a few minutes ago where, when I am searching stuff on wikipedia.org and I see an image and I click on it to try and get a bigger picture (to maximize the resolution of the image) an error window pops up and says:

"Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chuck-berry-2007-07-18.jpg

Operation aborted"

And then after this it takes me to the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" screen automatically and whenever I click the back button it takes me back to the maximized image but the error window just pops up again and when I click "OK" it takes me directly back to the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" screen. I also want to mention that the higher resolution picture DOES come up, but the problem is that the error window pops up as well so I can't save the image or anything like that if I want to.

It didn't only do it with this image either. I checked a few other wikipedia searches and all of the images that I click on to try and maximize will give me this same exact message. I can see the regular-sized images perfectly fine but for some reason when I try to click on it to get a higher resolution of the image that dang error window pops up. *shrug* Never seen anything like this before... maybe it is a Vista-exclusive problem. I don't know.

Do any of you folks have any idea at all what could be causing this problem?

If you've had this same problem or have any ideas or suggestions or anything else I would really appreciate any help at all.

Thanks in advance folks!

:)

2. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

Dang... nobody has any thoughts or ideas on this??

:(

3. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

I'm gonna let this thread go and try to get help in another part of the forums if nobody knows anything about this problem or how I could possibly fix it.

Nobody has anything on this huh? :(

I'll wait a bit longer I suppose... :(

4. good grief

good grief

I don't know what could be causing it really, by you could try disabling your addons in IE and try Wikipedia again, then if it's not doing it anymore, try enabling them one by one and checking Wikipedia after each one to isolate which one it is.

Also, check your security settings in IE in case that's interfering with it, and check your settings in your anti virus. Maybe you'll have to put Wikipedia as an 'allowed site? Worth a try?

5. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

Thank you for replying!! :)

I will try the things you suggested and mess around with a couple other things and see what happens.

Thanks again for the suggestions! :)

6. good grief

good grief

Let us know how you get on.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have another Windows user account on this machine to see if it happens in all user accounts?

8. paulmcauley

paulmcauley

I have EXACTLY the same problem in IE7, WinXP SP3. I've only noticed it in the last week or so.

9. paulmcauley

paulmcauley

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I am NOT having this issue on 2 XP and 2 Vista machines. They are ALL up to date including Java.

11. paulmcauley

paulmcauley

I just deleted my browsing history by clicking on the 'Delete', 'Delete All' and then choosing 'Yes' to delete all fies for add-ons, and then restarted IE. It seems to have fixed the probelem in Wikipedia (though I'm not sure for how long!). Let me know if this works for you NeoBix.

Microsoft has acknowledged this as a bug - perhaps there was something in our caches that was causing the following conditions mentioned by Microsoft to occur:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/04/23/what-happened-to-operation-aborted.aspx

12. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

DaveA, good grief and paulmcauley, thanks a lot you 3 for your help. I had a good feeling that if I stuck with this thread a bit longer I would get some answers. ;)

Paul thanks a ton. It is a huge relief to know that it is not a Vista-only problem and to know that I'm not the only one with the problem. And it is GREAT that Microsoft has acknowledged it, lol. :p

I did what you suggested and the problem stopped--thank goodness!! So you were right it has something to do with deleting the history plus all of the add-ons and other stuff. There must be some kind of add-on or something that interfered with Windows' ability to access the higher resolution wikipedia images. *big shrug*

Thanks again all of you and especially paul. Glad this got taken care of. Browsing wikipedia is one of my favorite pastimes haha. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!