1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot open Office 2007 documents even with Office 2007 compatibility pack in

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Feral Geek, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

Hello,

When I try to open a 2007 Word or Excel document I recieve as an attachment in Outlook 2003, I get the following message:
    "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". Office 2007 compatibility pack was installed and it still did not work.

I then uninstalled Office 2003, uninstalled the Office 2007 compatibility pack and then I ran CCleaner to clean up the registry. I updated my OS (currently has Windows XP SP3) with all updates, reinstalled Office 2003, installed Office 2003 SP 3 and then reinstalled the Office 2007 compatibility pack.

I still get the same message when I try to open an Office 2007 attachment in Outlook 2003.

OS is Windows XP SP3 fully updated
    Office 2003 SP 3 fully updated

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any hel on this issue.

Feral Geek

2. Rockn

Rockn

Do you have any other office apps installed besides Outlook?

3. Feral Geek

RockN,

Yes, I installed Office 2003 Professional which has Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Info Path and Publisher. The only other thing I can think of is this PC used to have Office XP on it and I uninstalled that prior to installing Office 2003 a while back.

Thanks for your help.

4. Rockn

Rockn

5. Feral Geek

Solved, I apologize for not responding earlier. It was a file association issue. I took the attachment in Outlook and saved it to my desktop. I then right clicked and chose open with and then chose Open with and depending on the document type I chose the prorgam I wanted to open the document and then clicked the always open with this program. Now my attachments in Outlook have the Excel or Word icon showing and the 2007 docs convert to open with my Office 2003 programs. Thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice