1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot open router webpage on Win98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Topazz, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

A Win98SE computer will not open the router's webpage with either USB nor ethernet connections. I have tried two different routers, a Dynalink RTA1320 which is the PCs router, and my own router, a Dynalink RTA300.

When hooked up to my router the PC can browse the internet, but not open the router's homepage.

When hooked up to the PC's router (the RTA1320) I cannot open the router's homepage in order to setup the ADSL internet connection.

I also cannot ping either of the routers' webpages, 192.168.1.1. The ipconfig /all is as follows:

Physical Address. . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

net adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

That's all I am able to copy from that list - I can't seem to grab the the bit at the top.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated.

2. radu5er

radu5er

First, are you sure you are using the correct address for the web interface access to the router?

Second, can you access the routers web interface from ANY computer?

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I assume that by this you mean 192.168.1.1. If so, then yes, that is what the manual says the webpage address is.

I can access my router's webpage from my own computer but not from the Win98 machine.

This (Win98) machine is also not able to share files on the network. Clicking on Network Neighbourhood only shows the folder and files shared on itself and none of the network shared folders and files. The other computer on the network cannot see the Win98 folder and files.

Seems like the PC has other issues related to this problem but I'm only familiar with networking basics when things go as the textbook says, not when things go wrong. :rolleyes:

4. radu5er

radu5er

OK.

Win 98 doesn't come "out of the box" ready to share files. Here's how to enable that:

Right click "Network Neighborhood"

Go to "Properties"

Click on the "File and Print Sharing" button.

Tick the box that says "I want to be able to give others access to my files"

Click "OK" This will leave the "Network" panel on your screen.

Next, you must ensure that all the computers in your network are in the same workgroup (unless you are in a server environment).

To do that you go to the "Identification" tab.

The "Computer name" and "Computer Description" boxes can be whatever you want them to be, but the "Workgroup" box must contain the same name for a workgroup as all the other computers in your network.

After you make these changes (and reboot) you should see the Win 98 machine in your network. You may need to wait a few minutes after the 98 machine reboots for it to show up but eventually it should be there.

I'm not sure of your exact configuration of computers but this should allow the Win 98 machine and the other computers to see each other and exchange files to and from shared folders. If you still can not communicate with the router there are other issues we will need to address, but you may want to give this a try first and see how it goes.

5. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Many thanks for your assistance radu5er. The Win98 machine is still unable to connect to the network after following the instructions in your previous post. Its files are not visible on the other computers but interestingly enough it can see the name one of the other two PCs in Network Neighbourhood but not that computer's files. The message is that they are not available.

The network setup is my main computer, a second computer, both Windows XP Home and the Win 98 all connected via a Dynalink RTA300 router. I originally wasn't going to connect the Win98 PC to the network as my task was/is to set that machine up with its own router, the Dynalink RTA1320 but have the problem that I orginally posted about - being unable to access the router's webpage. I cannot setup the connection details without being able to open that page. I wanted to test the PC with my router to eliminate hardware malfunction and because my router is already setup the Win98 computer can browse the internet whilst connected to it. That is when I discovered that file sharing does not work.

Sorry about it all sounding terribly confusing but as I said, my ultimate goal is getting the Win98 PC on the internet with its own router. There is something wrong somewhere if I can't open the router's webpage.

6. radu5er

radu5er

Is the Win98 computer IP address and subnet mask in the same group as the other computers? By that I mean 192.168.1.x for IP address and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.

7. ballpark570

ballpark570

I had a similar problem. For me the problem was a version of zonealam which has since been updated and the problem corrected.

If you are running a firewall, turn it off briefly and see if that won't let you get to the routers administrative page

8. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Yes, the Win98 PC is 192.168.1.10 and the others 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 respectively and subnet masks all 255.255.255.0.

9. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I wish it were that simple. There is no firewall running on this computer.

10. Ifixphonesnotpcs

Ifixphonesnotpcs

I'm sure this sounds horrible, but I have windows 98 on a 2nd pc in my house, and I don't want to have to change over to the xp I have on my primary pc. But my router, (ethernet broadband DI-604) is only able to be set up with windows 2000 and up. Is ther any way to make it work???

11. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support and suggestions but I reformatted the problem PC, reinstalled Windows and everything worked as it should immediately the network settings were entered.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please start a new thread, Ifixphonesnotpcs. And in it put the above plus add an explanation of what you mean by "is only able to be set up with windows 2000 and up."

13. Ifixphonesnotpcs

Ifixphonesnotpcs

I'm sorry I did open a new thread it's titled, can it be done

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice