1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot open Works files WPS & XLR

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justkay, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Someone sent me some attachment files that are WPS & XLR types. I cannot open them & learned that they are Works files.

When I got my PC 2 years ago (XP PRO), it came with Works, but I deleted it because I use Office. I have an reinstallation CD from Dell & am wondering if Works is on it. If so, how can I find & install it without having to reinstall the operating system?

If this is not possible, is there some qualtity software out there that will convert them to DOC & XLS files types?:

2. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Learned that I can convert the XLR file to a XLS simply by renaming the file with the Excel extension.
    Used Zamzar website to convert the WPS file to a DOC file type.
    Now using Office, I can access both of these files.

Yeah!

3. puterjunkie4ever

puterjunkie4ever Account Closed

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but one of your posts is what I think I need. I'm having the same problem for getting an .xlr file to open. How did you do this? Please respond.

4. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

The file you cannot open was created by Microsoft Works. What I did was to drag the file to my desktop, right click on it, select rename, then rename it using the Excel extension xls. Once I did that, I could open it & read it.:)

5. puterjunkie4ever

puterjunkie4ever Account Closed

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!