1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot print from network printer via laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bdthomas02, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdthomas02

bdthomas02 Thread Starter

I have a windows vista desktop and a windows vista laptop on my home network. I am trying to print from my network printer via my laptop. To make a long story short I am unable to print from the laptop. I have posted this question on numerous forums and I searched Google for hours but no one gave me nor did I come across a solid answer. Everything I came across talked about File sharing setup. The File sharing is setup correctly according to Microsoft.

The printer driver is installed on the laptop but I am having problems communicating with the printer. When I try to print a test page from the laptop the printer setup shows the printer is printing the page but the printer goes offline and the printer mode on the laptop changes to error. Also, the printer is connected to the desktop via a USB port and prints correctly for the desktop. My question to the forum is how can the laptop print to the printer? Which port should I use for the laptop? I have tried the numerous suggestions of creating a new port and add the name of the computer (desktop) and the name of the printer but this does not work. I hope I have explained myself well enough for someone to offer some advice.

Thanks,

bdthomas02:confused:

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

More information (make/model) about your printer could help troubleshoot this a little faster. ;)

Basically what I'm thinking is that your printer may not be a 'true' networkable printer (meaning the printer doesn't know how to share itself over the network, like the Brother MFC-5440cn I have.

3. henrybraun214

henrybraun214

It doesn't usually happen, I think you should check out your printer settings and set default printer to your network printer. Or reinstall your network sttings.

Henry Braun
    Social Bookmarking Service

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Sounds like the network printer is not added to printer list and selected as default on the laptop.

My daughetr has a laptop running Vista (wireless) that uses the printer connected to my Vista desktop by USB. Usually in Vista to Vista printer sharing you do not need to load printer drivers on the client machine. When she first got her laptop, it was connect to the network, add the network printer, and print. Didn't even need to set as default. Had to load drivers on her computer and select loaded printer as default when desktop went down so she could still use the printer. When desktop was fixed, and she tried to print and she got printer off line message. Solved by changing the default laptop default printer back to the network printer.

With both computers running and the printer turned on.
    Open Network on the laptop.. Click icon for desktop. Does the printer show. If not, then sharing is not set up properly and you need to check the desktop. If the printer shows then sharing is set up and you need to check the laptop to be sure the desktop printer has been added and is set as default printer.

On the desktop for Printer Sharing:
    Control Panel, Network Sharing.
    Is Printer Sharing on, green dot. If not click expand button to right and select Turn on printer sharing.
    Is Password protected sharing off, grey dot. Off allows anyone on the network to use the desktop printer. If on, user must have an account and password on the desktop.

Control Panel, Printers, right click printer icon and select properties.
    Under Security tab:
    Group or User Names list: Everyone, Creator Owner, Your Account(your account\desktop), Adninistrators (desktop\administrators)
    Click on Everyone.
    Permissions for Everyone: Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents should be checked.

On the laptop to add network printer and make default.
    In Control Panel, open Printers. Should be two listings. One "Printer Name" (for printer connected to laptop) and also "Printer Name on Desktop Name" (network printer). If the network printer, is there a check mark by it to show it is the default printer. If not the default printer, highlight and select as default.
    If the network printer is not listed, you will need to add it. Click Add a printer, Add network, wireless or Bluetooth printer. If you are connected to the network, Windows should automatically see the printer on the desktop and list it. When the printer appears in the list, click stop, then click next and next to finish adding it. When it is added, set as default printer.

5. bdthomas02

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I found out the printer needs another part in order to make it a network printer.

Thanks,

bdthomas02:eek:

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

bdthomas02,
    What make, model printer is it?

7. bdthomas02

A Dell Color Laser 1320c.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!