1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot print to network printer from laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billreed, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

My network - gateway 835gm desktop with epson stylus color. Trying to print items FROM my laptop, hp pavilion dv7-1135, to my network printer. I plug usb from printer directly to laptop and it prints. ditto from my desktop -BUT- will not print from lap top direct to network printer. Been working on this for 3 days. please help. tnx.
    bill

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you installed it as a local printer, did you change the port for the printer to a "local port" with a name that's the full path name to the networked printer? Can you see the networked printer by browsing in Network Places to the host machine?

4. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

Hi John (I think), I installed a network printer and I have going at it now till I am all messed up. I'm quiting for today and take a fresh start again tomorrow. Sorry I could not follow some of your suggestions. I need to quit. Thanks so much for your patience. Yes - I did 'share' printer. tnx
    Bill Reed

5. JohnWill

I simply install the printer as a local printer (even connecting to the machine if necessary for the install), then change it's port to a new "local port" with the full path name to the network printer location.

6. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

Hey John
    tks fer reply and it sounds good but, forgive me, I don't know how to start doing what you said. I"m not to versed and not to smart either. I wud love to have those instrx in steps if you could find the time. tnx
    bill

7. JohnWill

Install the printer as a local printer, connect it to the machine you are installing on just for the installation.

Remove the printer and move it to the machine it will run on permanently.

Right click on the printer properties on the first machine and select properties.

Under Ports, create a new Local Port. In the name field, type the full network path name of the printer, i.e.

\\computer_name\printer_name

Where:

computer_name - name of computer that has the shared printer.
    printer_name - name of the shared printer from Network Places

8. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

hi john, thanks so much for you time. your first 2 items I did not understand (sorry) but I did this:
    on my laptop, add printer,add a local printer,create a new local port, entered new name \\your-907f423962\epson stylus color 740 esc/p 2 and the reply was "Network name cannot be found". My network name is "am radio". Desktop name "your-907F423962. Printer is connected to desktop by usb cable. I just disconnected the usb from desktop and connected to laptop and it did print a test page. usb plugged into desktop - nothing.
    bill

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try a short share name w/o blanks and other special characters rather than "epson stylus color 740 esc/p 2."

10. Support4U

Support4U

Hi bilreed,
    if you have internet security software or firwall software on your laptop try disabling them and then try printing from your laptop since they some time block printing on network printers.

11. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

solved

Thanks to everyone expecially john who stood by me.

bill

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wanna share the solution with us? :)

You can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your first post.

13. JohnWill

I'm guessing the naming of the printer. :D

14. billreed

billreed Thread Starter

Yes John you are right

15. JohnWill

Terry beat me to the response on the name, as soon as I saw that, I figured we were on the home stretch. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice