1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Read DVD+R disc after burning them... Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikequest3, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

Hello
    My System Info:
    OS - Win XP SP2
    DVD Drive - Sony DVD RW DW-G120A burner (thats what it says on it device driver) purchased 2 yrs ago.
    Software - Nero StartSmart 6.3
    DVD Media - a local DVDminusR 4.7gb disc

I use the above resources to back up my data (mostly different multimedia files) & for burning purposes, everything was fine until i used a new pack of dvds. For some reason the entire process of burning goes smoothly and i can also see my data on the disc, i am able to use like first 2 or 3 files out of 6 or 7 & then the disc hangs up (i have to eject to make the system work again). I faced this problem with a couple of discs (all from the new pack) so chkd for them and found out that, i have been using DVDminusR for all my burning until now & these discs are actually DVDplusR. My burner is able to burn data all ok, also it can reconize both empty & burnt DVDplusr discs (with all files showing in the window) but plays only part of the disc.
    Is there some way i can take my data from those discs as i lost the originals or can i play them with some utility or patch or something. If yes would it be ok continuing my backup with all my remaining duvplusr discs. In other words how can i use & play dvdplusr discs (burnt assuming dvdminusr) on my drive.
    Please Advise...... I appriciate your help & thank u for it.
    Mike

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Some disks are not compatible with some burners and -/+ has nothing to do with it in most cases. Also, I have had bad luck with store brand and off brand disks. What brand of disks are you using?

I would try another brand and type.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Recorders vary in what they can read. It would be best, of course, to stick with the same type through the process. You can make iso's of the disks on another machine and burn them to R- if your driver prefers them.

4. mikequest3

Thank for your replies,
    The brand is a local that reads 'National', i dont think it is well known.
    The thing is that i brought a pack of 100 & the person wont exchange or take them back, so was hoping if there is a way to use both minus & plus discs on my my drive as i read of something called bitsetting, so was hoping how i could do that.?
    Also I dont have any resource to make iso's
    Mike

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I don't remember ever making a diskcopy from - to + or + to -; but, it might be possible in a different drive. If not, you could simply copy to the hard disk on another system and then burn to the preferred format.

6. mikequest3

Hmmm, It actually hangs up if i try to copy the latter part of the disc i.e it has 5 .avi files on it only the first one is able to play & copy the others just hang the system up if i try to play or right click.
    Mike

Is there something i can do so that my drive can read both plus & minus???
    Cause it says dvdmultirecorder dvd + re writable on the drive & I know it plays minus dvd,

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Even on another system?

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

If you did any previous research about your problem on Google, you would see there are hundreds of problems, people that have no problems and the rest are in between with this model. Instead of re-hashing all the solutions, guestimates, etc. (you can do that by reading the ~ 874 pages of links yourself), let's start with this:

What version firmware are you running for the burner?

Here are some from CDRinf:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmware/SingleModel.aspx?DriveId=1333

here's another from a different source:

http://cd-rom.free-driver-download.com/Sony/35863/Sony-DW-G120A-DVD-RW-Firmware-MYR4.html

Have you tried a slower write speed? And last but not LEAST, look at you statement from the begining:

" I use the above resources to back up my data (mostly different multimedia files) & for burning purposes, everything was fine until i used a new pack of dvds. "

Hint, hint.........nowhere throughout this thread have you mentioned trying a different brand..........

as for iso:

Launch Nero StartSmart using the desktop icon.

Near the upper right corner of the Nero window, select "DVD" disk type from the three (HD-BURN, DVD, or CD) choices.

Next, click on the "Data" icon along the top row of icons, second from left, to display the Data menu, do NOT select the "Copy and Backup" menu as this is for making a backup image similar to the True Image process

Next, click on "Make UDF/ISO Disc". This should bring up the "UDFISO1_DVO-Nero Burning ROM" screen.

Click on the "Edit" drop down menu, select "Add Files" and add the image files you want to burn to DVD. (Nero will show a graphical bar at the bottom of the window to let you know where you stand on approaching storage capacity. The ISO format will add about 350KB for overhead files.) After you add the files to be burned, you will see their names in the second window pane from the left with the full filenames intact.

Click on the "View" drop down menu and check the "ISO Level 1" option. The filenames you previously loaded will suddenly be truncated to the old DOS standard of 8 filename characters and three characters for a filename extension. Not to worry, this is a temporary thing and an alleged limitation of the ISO file rules. When you are done with the burning process you will have a usable data DVD, but for knknown reasons, with the full original filenames. (When using the "Joliet/UDF" option, the burn took a lot longer and the disk could not be read on a Win2K dvd-rom player. The "ISO Level 1" option appears to be more backward compatible.)

Click on the "Recorder" drop down menu and select the "Burn Compilation" choice, NOT the "Burn Image" choice. This will bring up a secondary "Burn Compilation" window where you should choose the "Multisession" tab and place a check mark next to "No Multisession" and accept all other default choices. Then, just simply click on the "Burn" button in the far upper right of the window, NOT the "Burn" tab. And, away you go, assuming you have an out-of-the-box, blank, dvd ready to go in the DVD tray! Nero will format the DVD on the fly as it burns the files.

The burning process should begin immediately. And, you can check or uncheck the "Verify When Written" button, whichever you prefer, anytime during the burn process. (It took about 16 minutes to burn and verify one 2GB image file, and under 30 minutes to burn and verify two 2GB image files.)

Upon completion, you can "explore" to the DVD+RW drive and see the files. You can also move the DVD to another PC and see and copy the files from its DVD+RW drive.

At this point you should tried the freshly burned DVD+RW disc in the plain vanilla DVD-Rom drives on both the WinXP and the Win2K machines or whatever you have handy.

9. mikequest3

Ok I will try that, Thanks a lot for the replys :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice