Solved: Cannot receive emails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DrP

I've tried getting help with this in the Web and Email section but no luck...
[all of these email accounts are on Outlook Express in Win XP SP2]

The situation is: Myself & Partner both have own domain email accounts. We both can send/receive email from/to our accounts on our lap-tops.

On the same wireless network we have a desktop. Using exactly the same settings and email information on the desktop as the lap-tops, neither of us can receive email from our accounts.

An additional email account which we do not have on either lap-top sends/receives email without a problem though.

Could anyone help? Please?

You state that "neither of us can receive email from our accounts"

What - exactly- happens when you try?
If there are error messages what are they?

DrP

Thanks for the reply Kiwiguy. Here is the whole story.

I have an email account with my webhost set up on my laptop. I also have it set up identically on a desktop which uses the same wireless network. There is no firewall on either machine, I just use the one on the router/modem.

With the exception of one email I sent last week, I have not been able to receive emails on the desktop for several months. The error I receive when I try and check this email is:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Own email', Server: 'pop.cliveportman.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

My partner also has an email account with the same webhost. She has a different domain name, so a different email account. Her account works fine on her laptop, as mine works on my laptop. Again, however, her email account does not work on the desktop. She also has a work email account, which is also a POP3 account like the others. This work account works fine - no problems at all.

Thinking the problem might be with Outlook Express I tried setting up the accounts using Mozilla Thunderbird. Again, I can send emails but I cannot receive them. However, unlike Outlook Express, which provides the error message above, Thunderbirdjust says (in the status bar at the bottom of the window):

‘Connect: Host contacted, sending login information…’

and remains like that indefinitely.

Because neither program worked I thought I’d try and get Outlook Express working as Microsoft have plenty of help articles around. I have searched for the error and usually end up with the Microsoft article kiwiguy presented the link to. This article suggests the following:

‘Method 1: Confirm that your e-mail server settings are correct’
- I am using identical settings to those on the laptops.

‘Method 2: Examine the configuration of your firewall software’
- The individual computers have no firewall, but share a common firewall (in the wireless modem/router). If this were a problem, then neither computers would work. Also, I had this problem before I set up the wireless network and just used the desktop on its own. Prior to the arrival of the laptops we had to check out email using the webmail method.

‘Method 3: Check your antivirus vendor's Web site for additional suggestions’
- I have uninstalled, disabled email checker, turned off the virus checker (AVG) to no avail. I have the same virus checker with the same settings on both laptops anyway.

‘Method 4: Determine whether your modem is functioning correctly’ and
‘Method 5: Verify the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size that is set on your router’
- Works fine for the laptops using the same modem/router.

‘Method 6: Remove and then reinstall Outlook Express’
- I had a go at this but why would my partner’s work account work without problem if it were a problem with Outlook Express? Also, wouldn’t the problem accounts work in Thunderbird anyway?

‘Method 7: Create a new e-mail profile’
- I have tried to do this but when I look a Control Panel in Classic View I have no icon for ‘Mail’ so I am not sure how to do this. Wouldn’t the fact the email doesn’t work in Thunderbird mean this isn’t the problem? Could the reason I don’t have the ‘Mail’ icon in Control Panel be because I have a Packard Bell desktop and therefore not a ‘straight’ version of Windows but Packard Bell’s ‘customised’ version?

‘Method 8: Delete suspicious messages from your mailbox’
- Again, why would the email accounts work fine on the other laptops?

Anyone who takes the time to read this, I’d really appreciate any help. Could it be a problem with the server (ie our webhosts)? Should I persist with re-installing Outlook Express? Should I re-install windows as much as my Packard Bell computer will allow me (no Windows CD but some kind of restore job)?

This is actually being caused by e-mail scanning software.

Generally that would be Norton Antivirus or AVG. Those two programs error the most with email scanning. And yes, even if Norton says that it is working properly it is still the cause of the error.

Unfortunately disabling the antivirus software will not fix the problem (ex: disable autoprotect).

You have three options that will fix the problem:

1) Disable the email scanning option inside of your antivirus software for both incoming and outgoing mail. This is done in the antivirus options section. Once turned off restart Outlook, or sometimes restart the computer.

2) Uninstall and if desired reinstall your antivirus software.

3) Call your Antivirus software tech support number.

Last month I took over 900 internet technical support calls. You would not believe how common this issue is.

You mention that you uninstalled AVG. Did you restart the PC after? Alternatively it could be another piece of software that intercepts email, like mail-washer or some spyware.

One thing you can also try after doing the above is removing the account (this will not remove your emails) and then adding it in again.

DrP

Right. I ran updates and searched using Spybot and Ad-Aware. Then I uninstalled AVG. The previous time I uninstalled AVG I did NOT restart, so there is that. I have just received an email! So, it looks like AVG may have been the problem.
Now, to get my AV back. I will try a fresh install of AVG and see if that affects it.
Is there anything else I should try?
Thanks for the help.

Update: Re-installed AVG and the email still works.
Thanks for your help,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online