1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot register vbscript.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by goedel, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

dllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll failed
    Return code was 0x80004005

Above is the error message I receive when I "run regsvr32 vbscript.dll" at the command prompt.

I have been instructed to perform this command by Skype help as a reply to the problem an incomplete installation of their latest software.

A search showed that I do have the dll, but I cannot tell if it is free of corruption. Can someone let me know how to correct the problem with my system that seems to be preventing the command from executing? On the net I find offers of programs that are free to download but expensive to use.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What software exactly?

You might need to fix the .VBS file association?

Try: VBSfix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

The Skype installation that won't complete w/o the error message is Skype version 4.2.0.187.

I'll try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.

4. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

To Phantom010. By googling, I notice that there are several requests for VBSfix. At one point, it was free but now not available. Your suggestion may be a good one, if VBSfix can be found. Do you have a copy you could send me?

5. Phantom010

6. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I had already found and run it. I now have the .reg file extracted. I do not wish to merge it with my registry until I have backed up the current registry. How, in XP, does one create a backup? Could you please advise? I don't even recognize the name of the registry file that is probably already in my root directory. I think it was system.reg in Win98. Thanks for your attention.

7. Phantom010

8. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Thanks, again! Luckily, I found an export command in the File pull-down of the registry image. I'll go with that and assume the merged registry will allow me to reboot afterwards.

I'll let you know if VBSfix worked for me.

9. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I just merged the vbxfix data with my registry and tried to register vbscript.dll. It registered successfully.

Now I shall reinstall Skype and see if it goes without the previous errors. That is a separate problem, if it persists. Chances are good, I think, of a complete install, thanks to Phantom010 and this website. !!!

10. Phantom010

Glad you got it fixed! (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950609