1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot reinstall xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sevens, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sevens

Sevens Thread Starter

ok, so I cannot reinstall windows. Ive got a dimension E520 (not sure the motherboard, whatever comes with an E520).

I've tried CTRL-F11 at boot, which has always worked in the past, but it doesn't work now. I HAD 2 windows operating systems installed at one point. I deleted one from the hard drive, but still comes up as a choice during startup.

I have tried running i385 files, but EVERY .EXE file I run it asks me which program to run it with. Which I have no idea what to do here. I can't run Steam.exe, Firefox.exe, or Chrome.exe. I'm assuming this is some sort of virus. Lol I can't even run a virus scan without it asking me what program I want to use to run the .exe file.

So any help?? I would love to totally reformat/reinstall windows xp. I've really got nothing important on this computer, so any help/ideas would be awesome!

2. antech

antech Banned

This is 100% surely a malware problem.
    deleting windows from the hard disk dosent wipe it out from the boot menu .
    Use EasyBCD to delete the Obselete Entry.
    Go to to the BIOS and set the Boot priority to CD/DVD Drive at first.
    Then Boot using the XP CD
    It will ask you to press any key and then the XP Setup will start.
    See this Site for a step by step guide
    http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

3. Sevens

Sevens Thread Starter

Well thank you for the quick help. But I cannot run EasyBCD, because it asks me to find a program to run pretty much every .exe I have. And thats where I am lost, due to this virus/malware.

LOL I tried calling dell support to make sure CTRL-F11 was the correct keyboard combination to use to reinstall windows from boot. And they tried to charge me 50$ JUST to tell me the keyboard combination to push during startup.

4. antech

antech Banned

They have just ****ed you out
    Just load them with S.H.I.t bombs
    BTW, do you have the Win XP CD?

5. andywit

andywit

F2 for BIOS
    F12 for boot options
    :)

6. Sevens

Sevens Thread Starter

yup ive got the windows xp cd. But it doesn't give me the option of repairing windows or anything like that. Its got a "install windows" option, but when I click on it nothing happens.

7. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya, have you reached BIOS yet by pressing F2 when you start the machine

8. Sevens

Sevens Thread Starter

Yup well I finally got it all figured out and done. Found my OS cd, went into the BIOS/Boot sequence and ran from CD. Removed both OS partitions, reformatted everything. Reinstalled windows, and all drivers, and now I'm up and running again. Thanks for the help

9. huggie54

huggie54

glad your up and running,could you you please mark your thread as solved,g/luck Huggie54

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!