1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Release/Renew IP Address

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cric, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You might get quicker responses if you requested a moderator to move this to the Networking Forum. You can do this by clicking the "Report" button on your original post.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Your second screen shows your wireless adapter is configured with a static IP of 192.168.1.158, and DHCP is disabled. Ipconfig /release and /renew don't work unless your adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP enabled) and there is a DHCP server on the network.

You can configure the adapter to obtain an IP address automatically in Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center.

5. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

Thanks dustyjay, but I don't see that button anywhere.

frank4d, I'm at the Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center, but I don't see any way to enable/disable the DHCP. Where can I do this at?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To configure a dynamic IP address on your Windows Vista or 7 computer:

1. Click Start.
    2. Select Network, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Manage network connections or Change adapter settings from the list of tasks.
    3. Right click the connection of interest and click Properties.
    4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
    5. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
    6. Select Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click Close.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

In Network and Sharing Center click the connection for your Wireless Adapter, then Properties. In the next window, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then Properties. Choose "Obtain an IP address automatically", and also choose "Obtain DNS server address automatically"; then OK, Close, Close.

After this, either update your IP address using ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew; or reboot your computer.

8. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

TerryNet & Frank4d
    I changed both of them to automatic, and then tried the commands and they failed. I restarted my computer and got the same result (attached).
    Help?

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      68.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
  9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand your actual issue. You have an apparently good wireless connection and one wireless and one ethernet Media Disconnected. Is the apparently good wireless not working somehow? Or are you trying to get one of the others connected?

10. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

I have a policy of switching IPs every month or so. All I know is one month when I tried to do it, it wouldn't work.
    My internet access hasn't changed, nor have the devices I use to access the internet (wireless router). I have no idea what the problem is, I just know that there must be something wrong.

11. Oily

Oily

Your Wireless Network Connection IPv4 address has changed from 192.168.1.158 to 192.168.1.4

You shouldn't need to change your IP every month, it's only the IP of the machine on your local network that you are changing anyway.

12. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

While I'm sure that's true Oily, my IP Address (I know by checking whatismyipaddress.com) hasn't changed from 71.59.249.243.
    And I know it's probably not necessary, I'm just one of those overly worried people.

13. Oily

Oily

That is your Public IP address which is assigned by your ISP and not what you are changing here which is your LAN IP address.

EDIT: Just a quick google, but point 2 will maybe help you understand this better -

http://www.conniq.com/FAQ/lan-wan-ip-address.htm

14. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

Ah, I see.
    Well can you tell me how to change my public IP Address?

15. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Your public address is assigned by your ISP.

16. Cric

Cric Thread Starter

Is there any way I could get my ISP to change it through my computer?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice