1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot rename .jpg files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by karaman, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo,

windows 7 home premium sp1

driving me nuts - i cannot rename .jpg files. when i right-click the file, the 'rename' option does not appear. normally there is a 'create shortcut' 'delete' and 'rename' option in the list near the bottom but not when i right-click on a jpeg, these three have been curtailed to 'create shortcut'.

provenance of the .jpg varies - some come from a camcorder's picture-taking thinggy, some from the 'net, some copied from an other machine,etc but all with extension .jpg

WHAT I HAVE DONE TO WORK ROUND IT
    opened paint and did a 'save as' (to get the new name )then deleted the original (the one i wanted to rename) but this is the pits, it is taking one heck of a loooooooooooong time.

help!

thanks

karaman

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you done anything to the registry?

Rename is no doubt near the bottom of the menu. Your screen resolution is so low that things simply do not fit on the screen.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You definitely have a screen resolution and display setting problem. The resolution is set too low, and you've customized system fonts, sizes, and spacing. You also have a lot of stuff installed that has modified the context menu. You can hit the F2 key to rename a file as well.

4. ngk0585

ngk0585

<Irrelevant post removed. Repetition of previous advice.>

5. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo elvandil and doublehelix,

both are right. i dont see too good so i have to have 125% resolution to make things bigger and some colour other than bright white as background.

- no i did not touch the registry - knowingly.
    - tried with 'normal' resolution and yes, rename and his friends appear as you say

F2 is the solution, SORTED! thanks a million.

NEW QUESTION
    how do i get rid of the stuff i dont want on the properties list - as in my pic? you install some programs you think may be useful and they weedle themselves into all sorts of unexpected places you dont want them to be...... without these there would be room for 'rename' .

thank god for gurus

karaman

Attached Files:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, you can remove them, often, by removing their entries in the registry, though some will put them right back.

In many programs, there is something in their settings about enabling the context menu entry and you can disable it there.

Some entries are supported by dll's and you can remove them by unregistering the dll.

But for starters, you may want to just look in the program's settings.

I use a multitude of methods to control what is there, from Hace's MMM to FileMenu Tools. That latter one adds yet another entry to the menu, but it has options to remove other entries, add new entries, or organize the entries that are there. You might want to try it.

7. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

Hallo elvandil,

have downloaded filemenutools but cant get my head round it. no matter what i untick, unwanted rubbish does not disappear from the context menu. i note it does irritatingly not appear to have an 'uninstall' option so am heading for win7 remove programs

i think F2 is the better option for the likes of me but thanks for the effort of trying to educate......

thanks

karaman

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023312