1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot send email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by goskins, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

As of about 5 days ago, I lost the ability to send email though I can receive email normally. I run Windows XP/Outlook 2003 with Bellsouth as my ISP (DSL). ZoneAlarm is my security package. After trying several things on my own (checking/reconfiguring accounts in Outlook, disabling security suite, running in Safe Mode, etc), I contacted Bellsouth and we went through the standard fixes for the problem (checked account setup, they ran line tests, reset router, etc.). According to them, everything is fine on their end and nothing is blocking port 25. I got to the point where I just decided to reformat my desktop computer and start with a clean system to ensure that no ZoneAlarm process was somehow still running in the background. After the reformat and setup, I still cannot send email, this time using Outlook Express. In all cases, I am able to send email through Bellsouth's Webmail client. Additionally, I have two laptops on my home network, and all computers are experiencing the same issue.

I get the following error message from OE: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Mike Branham', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.

I consider myself a pretty competent computer user, and I've researched and tried many of the proposed fixes on this forum and from other sites. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try - I would have thought that the reformat would have done the trick. Can anyone help!?

2. Kirok

Kirok

Seen this one a few times.

• Can you use telnet to send email?
    • Are the machines XP or Vista?
    • Have you reset Winsock and the TCP/IP stack?
    Most common way I've seen of getting rid of this is flushing the DNS then toggling the SMTP authentication setting and re-entering the account login name and password. Also making sure that no security software is in the way.

3. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

Hey Kirok,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

I tried to telnet to mail.bellsouth.net 25, but I got the message "Could not open connection to the host." I was able to ping it with no loss of data.

Two machines run on XP, and the newest laptop runs on Vista.

The winsock and TCP/IP stack were reset on the desktop prior to its reformat.

Would you still recommend flushing the DNS and toggling the SMTP authentication setting? If so, could you describe what you mean by toggling the setting (i.e., simply toggling or actually changing the setting in some way)?

Thanks very much for your help!

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi goskins

Do you happen to have a Gmail account, you can test in Outlook 2003?

5. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

Hey EAFiedler,

I just created a gmail account and then created an Outlook 2007 account on a laptop (I use 2003 on my desktop, 2007 on my laptops). It sends and receives normally via gmail. I assume that this points directly to my port 25 being the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

6. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Just for the heck of it try setting up an additional email username in your Bellsouth account and see if that works. Might tell you something.

7. EAFiedler

Since Gmail doesn't use port 25, that wasn't exactly an apple to apple comparison, was it?
    At least, we know Outlook is working properly. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
    Are you using the same anti-virus program on all the machines?

Yes, I would say port 25 is being denied Internet access.
    Are you running the Windows Firewall?
    The Router has been reset, at least once?

What is the make and model of the router?
    Does the router connect to the modem, or are they the same device?
    Is it possible to connect directly to the modem bypassing the router?

8. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

lagunasrfr: I did create a new Bellsouth subaccount and added it to Outlook, but this did not work either. Thanks anyway for the thought.

EFiedler: I am using ZoneAlarm on all machines. However, after the reformat on the desktop, I chose not to reinstall until I had the send issue worked out. Since I (normally) have ZoneAlarm installed, I don't use the Windows firewall.

The router is a Westell Versalink 327W. I believe the modem and router are all in one. I have reset it at least twice. Not sure on bypassing the router; I guess since they're all in one, bypass is not possible.

Is it possible that the problem lies in the router? It appears to me to be the one last common link between all 3 machines.

Thanks to you both for the help!

9. EAFiedler

I take it that the ZoneAlarm security package includes the anti-virus program?

As a test, see if port 26 or port 27 will work.

Here is a link to that model router/modem, there is a .pdf download for the User Guide.
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=181

Do you have another modem or router you can try?

I would definitely go through the configuration of the router. I skimmed through the 187 pages and there were quite a few references to Resetting the router while configuring profiles.

When you reset the router, was there a reset button on the back of the router that you used?
    Or did you reset the router within the browser interface?

10. rcoppersmith

rcoppersmith

Not sure if this applies - Vista/Outlook 2007. Outlook appeared normal, but when tried to open email, would indicate a problem and restart. Got MS tech to take over my PC.
    Fix: Google add in was causing the problem. Removed and works fine. MS tech says it has been an issue, so maybe it is on yours as well.

11. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

EAFiedler,

Yes, ZA did include the AV protection. I tried 26 and 27, still not working.

I do not have another modem or router; I've been hesitant to shell out the money before I was sure it was the problem. I reset using the button on the back of the router.

I went through the configuration. I even tried disabling the firewall, but this did not work either.

Any more suggestions? This is the most frustrating computer issue I've ever come across.

12. EAFiedler

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the setup of the Westell router, I have a Linksys router.
    Resetting the router should have returned it to the defaults.

Do you have a Network setup between the three computers?
    You can view the laptops on the Desktop and vice versa?

Can you think of anything that had changed, hardware or software, before this problem started?

How did Bellsouth determine that port 25, on your system, is not being denied access to the Internet?
    Or did they only state that they are not blocking port 25?

13. alynur

alynur

Hi goskins, can you take your laptop to a friends house and use their internet connection to test your email problem? Could tell you if you need a new router.

14. goskins

goskins Thread Starter

As of tonight, I can now send email again via Outlook on all 3 compluters. I can't explain why - I haven't made any changes in some time. I simply tried to send and it worked. Many thanks to those who offered help. I guess I'll mark it solved even though I can't explain it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice