1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot sign into google/gmail - untrusted site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by necklacemaker, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necklacemaker

necklacemaker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Elizabeth
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2039 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 46151 MB;
    Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., VG33
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

this just started today - whenever I try to sign onto google (my homepage) or gmail i get this:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
    securely to accounts.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
    Normally, when you try to connect securely,
    sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
    going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
    this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
    trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

the only way i can use google is if i don't sign in, and it's impossible to check my email - help! (should i be checking out "general security" about this?

2. necklacemaker

First Name:
    Elizabeth
    knowing I couldn't sign into my gmail, i tried to sign into my yahoo account, but got this: This page requires that you have Javascript enabled on your browser. However, when i googled javascript - and how to activate (or in my case re-activate) it, I got this: JavaScript is enabled in your web browser. If you disable JavaScript, this text will change. so no email right now, luckily as long as i don't sign in, i can use google.

3. TOGG

TOGG

Did you check the Firefox Help files? I found this; http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/connection-untrusted-error-message There are suggestions about how to proceed when you get this type of message.

When I try connecting to Google.com/accounts using Firefox, or my Opera browser I am able to see the 'https' and padlock symbols. If I just try 'google.co.uk' I'm taken to an 'ordinary' http address with the option to sign into my account (if I had one) using a secure page. Clearly there is nothing wrong with the certificates that my browsers are seeing, so there could be a problem with your computer. The worst case scenario would involve some type of malware redirecting some of the addresses that you type. Are you using any 'security' addons with FF that could prevent connections, such as NoScript?

The fact that you have problems with Yahoo may also be significant or completely unconnected with your Google problem. I know Mozilla have disabled Java in the latest versions of Firefox but that, despite the name, is completely different from JavaScript. You can doublecheck your JS status by going here;http://www.javatester.org/ with Firefox and clicking on the orange 'JavaScript' button on the left of the page. When I do it with FF 18.1 I get this result;

" JavaScript IS WORKING in your web browser
    Your web browser supports JavaScript version 1.8
    Your web browser is Firefox version 18.0 "

If I were in your position I would run scans with every security program I had and maybe an online one as well. Then, if I had access to another computer, I would contact Google and tell them that Firefox believes their certificates are bad (and include the Technical details produced by the FF error message)

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Make sure the time is set correctly on your modem/router/computer.

You may not be able to authenticate on HTTPS sites without it.

5. necklacemaker

First Name:
    Elizabeth
    Hey everyone, I was able to sign in, check email...and then I read your note, prunejuice...my calendar was set in Jan instead of Feb!! - so I switched it back...do you think that was the sole reason for this mess...omg! Still, was able to sign in, check email before I did change the date, so maybe not (completely). I check javascript, and mine is the same as yours, TOGG, - thank you for all the info. Yesterday I ran both super antispyware (free edition) and malwarebytes antimalware. But in any case, it's back, which is very cool...and I just checked, I'm able to log onto my yahoo account as well...so maybe it WAS due to having the wrong date. am going to mark this solved :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice