1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Stay Connected To Dial Up Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by d1940, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d1940

d1940 Thread Starter

I have an old computer that had Win ME installed. I loaded XP. Everthing works as far as I know except when I search for a file I get the error nessage "Window Explorer has encountered a problem " and shuts down Explorer and the screen blinks then reloads desktop. I tried to do a sfc/scannow repair. I get a quick black flash and nothing is changed. My XP Pro disk does not have a repair option. I tried a install over the orginal installation and nothing changed. I have several programs and files that would be impossible to replace. I did the install because Turbo Tax would not work with ME. I do my taxes and wife uses this computer to do her clubs paperwork on. When I backed up the files there was not room to defrag. I transfered backup to a portable hardrive and now have 30% free. I am not a geek so please reply in easy to understand terms if you decide to help. Thanks in advance

The Devil Himself helped me get the classic search to work. I now can't stay connected to the internet. The event log has the following.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ESENT
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 3/27/2008
    Time: 12:01:36 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER
    Description:
    wuauclt (940) The database engine 5.01.2600.2180 started.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I also started getting Error 623 The system could not find phone book entry for this connection after I reloaded internet software WMConnect.

It will stay connected about 10 minutes.

2. d1940

d1940 Thread Starter

I found on another forum if you remove all networks connections and reinstall problem might go away. So far so good, been on for about 45 minutes.

3. d1940

d1940 Thread Starter

One and half hours so I am calling it solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice