1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Turn Off Tapping On Touch Pad

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by STTantrums, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STTantrums

STTantrums Thread Starter

Ok I have this laptop that belonged to my father and I have a problem. Basically I am wanting to turn off the 'tapping' on the touch pad but I just can't.
    I have searched online for an answer but nothing I try will work. There are no settings in the control panel, either in the mouse settings or anywhere else that let you turn the tapping off.
    Something I read said to press Fn and F9 but that does nothing.
    I do remember turning the tapping off once when my dad had the laptop but I can't do it the same way because I installed a fresh copy of Windows and it wasn't from the recovery CD so the software for the touch pad isn't there.
    I have tried searching for the software but it appears that this model of laptop doesn't exist!
    It is a Toshiba Equium EA60-173 and the model number is PSA67E-00700C8J but I just can't find anything to do with the laptop on the Toshiba website. I did manage to find and try a program called Toshiba Touch and Launch which let me change some aspects of the touch pad but not the blasted tapping.
    So if anyone can think of anything else I can try apart from what I have tried already then I'm all ears.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What OS?

3. STTantrums

Oh yeah sorry, silly me.
    I'm running Windows Xp Pro. Like I say I tried searching in the control panel and I can't find anything to do with the touch pad and in the mouse section there are no options about it.
    It drives me mad because I have to use it to move the mouse icon but then it's constantly registering taps and opening programs etc and doing stuff that I don't want it to.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Some machines the Touch pad can NOT be turned off. If you were to stop dragging your thumbs across the pad would help.

Early on, I had one that the pad could not be turned off, so I taped a piece of cardboard over the pad and had no more problems.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If there's no option in the mouse settings to adjust settings for the touchpad, then there should be drivers/software on the laptop manufacturer's website for this.

6. STTantrums

Thanks guys. Problem is I can't turn it off completely because I have to use it for the mouse pointer. I think that removing the drivers would turn it off completely and taping anything over it wouyld mean I couldn't use it to control the mouse pointer.
    I know for a fact that you can turn the tapping off because I did it before with a Toshiba program but that program is only present if you use the restore CD that came with the laptop, I don't think you can install it seperately.

7. Squashman

So this computer came with XP? Just browsing the Internet it looks to be a very old Notebook.

8. Squashman

9. Squashman

10. STTantrums

I went through every one of the notebooks on there and mine wasn't listed. I even ran Toshibas own program which is supposed to detect my Laptop and it found nothing which is worrying.
    I think I may have to contact Toshiba directly.
    Thanks for the help mate. I'm also going to get the original recovery disc from my father and see if I can nail down the specific drivers.

11. Squashman

Do what I said in my post. It is right there. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't see it.

12. Squashman

Attached Files:

13. STTantrums

Aaah I thought I had tried that Eu version of the site. Brilliant advise mate.
    I'll give them a try and post back.
    Thank you.

14. STTantrums

After many attempts to download the damn drivers from their dodgy site I got them and there was indeed an option to turn off the tapping.
    Great advice, thanks again mate.

15. Squashman

Not sure what problems you had with the European site I gave you. I was able to pull them down instantly.

If this solved your problem you can use the Thread Tools link at the top to mark your thread solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice