1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot view a folder which I know exists

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Drew1776, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

Dear Tech Support Guy,

I have searched the internet and while I have found problems related to this, I had a hard time finding the exact same problem or a solution.

I installed a legitimate program which allows me to generate custom maps for a game I have Europa Universalis III. As you can see, there are three folders in the "Map Generator" folder.
    [​IMG]

However when I open the program and attempt to load a map I am able to view a folder which I can't view in Windows Explorer
    [​IMG]

I am able to use the program to load files from this invisible folder. It is very worrisome that I have a folder on my computer that Windows explorer will not show me. I am administrator and have set myself as the owner of the root folder and the "Saved" folder in question. Under properties->Security I am listed as having all access except "special permissions" which I can't select. Under permissions I am listed as having "Full Control".

Under the "Auditing" tab it states it is unable to display the current owner. When I attempt to take ownership I get the following error.
    [​IMG]

I assume this folder exists, how can I view it in Windows Explorer? I would like access to the files.
    On another note how do I ensure that this doesn't happen again? Why does windows allow files to be stored on my computer but not make them visible even to an admin? How would I detect and delete such a folder? This folder conatins ~100Mb of information but Windows won't show it's existence

I have tried to view hidden folder but it doesn't show up even then.

ARRRRGGGG.

Please help. Thanks,

Andrew

Attached Files:

2. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

Using DOSBox I am able to confirm that the folder and the files exist. So I guess my question would now be how can I view folders which windows hides from adminstrators? In DOSBox I also noticed that there were other windows folders which do not show up in windows explorer. I assume these are part of the backup system.

Thanks,
    Andrew

3. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

I found a discussion here http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/77c04068-c834-4ec3-bf9a-da86f91ffb99
    It descibes the problem and the solution. The folder was stored in C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) as descibed.

I keep posting because I hope this solution will be helpful to someone else with a similar problem!

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Congratulations on your research ability, and thank you for posting the solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice