1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Canon Camera is Slow

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by lschul, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just got a refurbished A520 and I like it a lot but it takes an incredible amount of time between pictures. I have the resolution up, 2gb card and a new battery. Why it takes so long to preview, save and reset for the next picture is beyond me...Any ideas? I wish I had my old A70 back...

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what sort of time
    it takes a while to focus and then take the shot - then write to card
    but
    give us a clue as to what you mean here

3. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I recently bought my wife a A540 and noticed the same issue but only when using the flash. A shot without the flash writes blaze fast to the card. I was going to take the camera back because I thought it was faulty but after doing a bunch of experimentation and reading on the net I believe thats just the way that series of camera is. I don't have an explanation for it unfortunately.

4. slipe

slipe

Compare your flash-off cycle times to these: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A520/A52DATA.HTM

If you are getting best quality cycle times over 3 seconds I would look to the memory card. See if you can borrow a fast card to compare. I checked one of my cameras and the cycle time was a full second slower with a standard Sandisk card compared with an Ultra II.

5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

it is taking nice photos, I just took a picture and after it takes and shows the preview, it took a 7 count to save to the card then be ready for the next shot, its way too long...

6. linskyjack

linskyjack

First of all, circa 2005 A520 isn't going to be the most responsive point and shoot you can buy---in fact, point and shoots are generally slow to reload. I have a new Casio and it writes pretty fast but I still don't expect the performance one can get from an SLR either film or digital. I do know that some of the current models are very good speed wise but thats irrelevant for you.

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

My A70 was very responsive, I liked that. This one is really slow and I am not sure I want to keep it. What point and shoots are more responsive?

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

I own a Casio Z series camera---very nice response and terrific pictures.

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Slipe made a comment and suggestion about a memory card. Have you tried that and if so what were the results? If you haven't why are you writing off the camera beforehand?
    I also mentioned an issue about the write difference with flash and w/o it. You didn't comment ???? It could also be a battery issue ( doubtful but possible ). Are yours charged and up to snuff?

10. Knotbored

Knotbored

Try turning off the "preview" mode (my Sony has that option, I assume the option is available on Cannon also.) I found no benefit to viewing the picture before I could take the next photo. Also I found the flash useless on outdoor shots (fixable shadows by software instead) but charging that useless flash still required a long time element.

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

OK, without the flash it is really fast, I am assuming it is the charge time that is taking so long. I am not sure what to do about the memory card, it is a SanDisk 2GB. I believe it is charging the flash...I have it on auto too.

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    What you are experiencing is the same issue that mine has. There isn't anything you can do about it except be patient when you use the flash. In the end you have a much better camera than before and I think we pointed that out to you in your initial thread.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  14. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I I tried that on mine etaf and the only difference it made was it allowed me to take more shots before the batteries went dead. It writes blaze fast w/o the flash buts takes quite some time if a flash is used.

15. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am already using rechargeable NI MH (god ones). Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice