1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Canon MP800R loses Wireless Connectivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grouch92, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grouch92

grouch92 Thread Starter

Vista 32-Bit, Vista 64-bit, XP SP3 (3 computers on network)
    Canon MP800R printer - latest drivers installed
    Router D-Link DWA-130 (no problems with anything else on the network)

This printer has worked flawlessly since I installed it a couple of years ago. I did change routers about 6 months ago. Again, no problems.

A month or so ago I began seeing the problems. I see the same thing on all 3 computers.

Now the printer seems to lose connection with the wireless network.

I get a "collecting printer status" message with no printing. It will stay this way until I turn the printer off and then back on. Then it will print. If I send a new print job immediately, it will print. But more than 2 minutes or so and I get the "collecting printer status" message.

Also, on multipage print jobs, the printer stops mid page - usually around the middle of the 3rd page. If I turn it off and then back on, it will again print until the 3rd page. No error showing.

I've unplugged the printer for a few minutes to reset it. That didn't help.

I would uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but I'm seeing the same thing on all 3 computers. I doubt the drivers would get corrupted on all 3. The third one is new and I just set it up a few days ago. It immediately saw the same problem with freshly installed drivers.

Edited: I have my network encrypted, but have the MAC ID and access code entered for the printer to allow it access. Ditto for my firewall software - it's not blocking the printer. Plus, if these were the problem, the printer would never have access and I do have access sometimes. End of edit.

Then, just to frustrate me, I occasionally get an hour or so when the printer will work just fine.

Any ideas? Or is the wireless receiver going out on the printer and I need to replace the printer?

2. arknorth

arknorth

Try replacing your cordless phone maybe... really...

If you have one, check to see what frequency of cordless phone you have, how old it is, and how close it is to the printer. 2.4GHz phones are on the same frequency as WIFI based routers and periferals. If you have one of these phones, try -

1 - Unplug the power pack from the wall
    2 - Remove the battery from the phone(s)

And yes, do BOTH stated above. If you suddenly get a signal to your printer, you found your problem. Other things that interfere with WIFI is large metal objects (refridgerators, support I-Beams in houses, aluminum siding), mircowaves (stop popping popcorn while printing!) and anything that works on the 2.4GHz frequency, such as remotes, wireless controllers for game systems, wireless headphones, etc...

Now, this does not mean that EVERYTHING 2.4GHz will block your signals - it all depends on how good the unit was, what sort of wear and tear they've gone through, etc. And you stated that the system was starting to do this over a number of months - this is why I think it might be the phone (if you have one at this frequency). They tend to take alot of abuse, including unseen abuse through their phone wires, especially over the summer, when lightning surges randomly zap them without really showing any harm otherwise, save the occasional humm, and sometimes, the frying of the spread spectrum signal hopping that they are able to do when new. You see the better 2.4GHz phones start out with the capability of avoiding problems with signal blocking by hopping about their available channels. But once they start getting fried, they start holding onto specific ones, and start blocking other devices.

Okay, that was long-winded, but true. Check your phones before tossing the printer. Otherwise, you can always network it through one of the other computers and have the remaining systems print through it.

A-N

3. grouch92

grouch92 Thread Starter

A-N,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my cordless phones are 5.8 GHz.

I had thought of networking the printer, but really want to keep the wireless ability. Found a good deal on a much newer wireless multifunction that also has built in duplexing - my other requirement.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice