1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Canon Pixma ip4700: how do carts empty?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m-r, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m-r

m-r Thread Starter

I mean, at what speed?
    It's telling me only "ink running low". HOW low? - and HOW FAST?
    What happens when it actually does run out? - does the printer stop functioning till the cart's replaced?
    Or does the Pixma keep on printing but with a colour missing?
    I'm pretty pissed off by the lack of info in the message: just not good enough. How are you supposed to manage??

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

How do carts empty is an easy one. You print, ink comes from cartridge, thus cartridge runs low. Now, for the questions.

1. The speed at which the cart empties is dictated by the amount of printing you do. See link below for info on page counts.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP4700/index.asp?specs=1

2. Generally the ink low message comes up with about 1/3 of a tank left, although this varies from printer to printer.

3. When the ink runs out generally the printer will not work until a new cart is inserted.

4. See above.

5. How you manage is simple. The message is self explanatory. It cant tell you how many pages are left to print, as that depends on what you print and how much of each specific colour is in it. When the message comes up, it gives you time to get a new cartridge. When the old one runs out, you change it.

I am not sure quite what you expected the message to be. There is no time period or page count it can give you, after all. It is there to tell you that you need to get a new cartridge and be ready to replace it.

3. m-r

m-r Thread Starter

OK, you've told me what I need to know, in amongst some other stuff. :)
    Many thanks: the vital fact is that the Pixma will stop printing if one of the carts runs out: this means I can go on printing out my long manuscript without having to worry that I'll have pages and pages that I have to throw away.
    Muchas gracias!

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

No worries :)
    Guess you were a bit peed off when you posted, it had been a bad day for me too :)

5. Compiler

Compiler

You can usually tell your software to print from specific pages. Pages 50~80 for example.

The CANON software will show you a graphic of the estimate amount of ink left in the cart... but the rip off thing is when the printer refuses to print when there is STILL ink in the container... grrrr.

6. m-r

m-r Thread Starter

Oh, does it?! - then I say "GRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!", too.
    That's much worse that my upside-down honey that you can't completely squeeze out, eh? - because we're talking dollars, here.
    Sighh...
    Still, at least the Pixma carts cost a mere fraction of the bloody CP1215 carts, that cause me to have a heart-attack every time I have to put in an order.
    <thinks> BUT! now that I have the Pixma, I won't need to use the CP1215, hardly ever! - only when I want to print out some kind of doc. that looks spiffing (but doesn't have any images in it).
    Much obliged for the input, fellers - you have kind hearts.
    Here's an old lady's thanks for the help...

THANK-YOU!!!

7. Compiler

Compiler

Some printers will allow you to print with very low or no ink... but it can damage the print-heads if they are not actually part of the cart. This is not a CANON issue... it varies between brands and models. Cheaper the printer, the worse the ink management.

I'm happy with my $60 Canon Multi-function... I print little, so after almost 2 years - I've only replace the ink once.

LOW-END Epsons = bad
    Lexmark = bad
    Dell = not so bad... but bad support, go else where
    HP = sometimes not so bad.
    Canon & Epson are generally good with their inks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice