1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't access airport utility on pc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by itsmesueb, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itsmesueb

itsmesueb Thread Starter

Let me preface this question with a confession of being fairly ignorant about anything to do with computers. That being said here is my layman's question. I have a home based network with two windows PCs. One (laptop) running Win7 Pro, and the other (desktop) Vista. I have them connected via cable Internet using an airport extreme 5th gen. router along with a Motorola surfboard extreme doc3 modem. I connect wireless from both computers. When I set up the router I downloaded the Airport Utility on the laptop since that was my personal primary computer. The utilities Icon, updates, and setup were only visible and accessible from the laptop. A few days ago my laptop simply shutdown and I can't get it to power up. I was in the process of screening for a new computer and had done a recent back-up onto a flash so I wasn't that flipped out over not being able to access..that is until I started having some network issues. Now I am completely in the dark on what or how to get to the airport utility since it was loaded on the now defunct laptop. I thought I could download the utility again from the apple website to the desktop, but for some reason it doesn't want to download??? So now I am stuck. If I buy a new mac, which is what I am considering, and I install the utility on it, will it automatically recognize the existing network and load the settings so I can simply add the new computer to the network? Or do I start anew, and if so how would I delete the old network? I am sorry if this is either extremely confusing or extremely simple (no brainer) but as I said, I'm a novice looking for help. :confused:Thanks :)

2. dannyn

dannyn

Ok, so a little confusing on how you wrote it but let me try to help.

When you reinstall the utility it will load all of the old settings. If you buy a new mac, then it should already be loaded.
    Are you trying to download this one on your windows machine? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1547

If you want to restore the factory defaults you could use this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3728

3. itsmesueb

itsmesueb Thread Starter

So sorry for the poor communcation skills:eek: Good news is I went back to the Apple download site and finally figured out why I was getting the download error when I tried to install the utility. I guess sometimes you simply need to stop, take a breath and actually read the error completely! In any event I thank you for taking the time to read my mess of a question and offer help...It did work and I thank you.:)

4. dannyn

dannyn

No worries! I am glad to hear that everything is functioning.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice