1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access BIOS-computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by earguy, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I have a desktop that won't boot and the error message is as follows:

"non-system disk or disk error"
    "replace and strike any key when ready"

This is an old Compaq running XP and the boot order seems to be floppy disk and then it's anybody's guess from there. I am unable to reset boot sequence as I can't get into BIOS. I press Pause-Break and then F2 but the error message above appears. I want to run a diagnostic using Seatools. Any suggestions on how to get into BIOS to do this. I am thinking that I can remove jumper on motherboard to reset BIOS. Is this good thinking or not.

Thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

you know we are going to have to ask, so may as well get it done.

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post back the report it creates:
    • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

3. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

The problem is with a computer that I cannot get to boot or load. I am unable to change boot sequence so as to have the computer boot from a disk in the optical drive. It appears to try and boot first from a floppy drive and then the error message appears. Not sure if you are wanting me to try the above suggestion on that computer as I would be unable to do so.

Thanks.

4. valis

valis Moderator

just stating that until you post that log from that XP machine we will not be able to assist. All issues you are having could very easily be related to that being an illicit system.

thanks,

v

5. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

The gentleman that I am assisting said he bought it from a "dealer", so I really don't know the legitimacy of the machine. He says it is running XP and that is the Windows label on the machine so I assume it is OK. He's had it for 5 years, bought it used. I just need to know if there is a way to get into BIOS to change the boot order so I can run Seatools from the optical drive. I understand what you are saying so I guess I will try and figure it out some other way. Thanks for your assistance thus far.

6. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I was finally able to get into BIOS. Persistence pays off. Again, thanks for your assistance.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!