Solved: Can't access certain URLs...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Galdavin

Hey guys.

Got a slight problem here. I'm using a 56k dialup connection on two different computers. Any other ISP I use is fine, on any computer, but for some reason this ISP won't allow me to access two specific URLs. They are simple .com URLs.

I've called their TS, and as with all useless departments, they said they'd get back to me, and still haven't a week later. They haven't barred the site from access, and other people using the same ISP can access either site.

I'm sure it's not anything to do with firewalls, anti-virus programs, I.E 6.0 settings or anything like that. The only thing I could put it down to is their ISP. I've tried using different browsers to access them, and I've tried all the different little thins, like pasting links, clicking hyperlinks, accessing the index part of either server...

What's the deal oh mighty computer people? :)

Galdavin

*Bump*

Sorry if I seem a little jumpy about this, I just need to get this problem sorted out as quickly as possible :)

If it works with other ISPs it maybe because your ISP is forcing you through a transparent proxy.

First, search google for a public proxy, theres loads out there, but note down a few since speed can vary and its best to experiment. Once you have found some addresses, go to IE, then tools and internet options, and connection, highlight your connection and click on settings, then tick use a proxy server, type in one of the addresses you found and use port 80 or 8080. , then click ok twice, and try again.

Someone on this site had a similar problem and solved it by using 217.17.233.132 on port 80.

If that doesn't work, it may be a DNS issue. To test this, go to start, run, and type in

command

then type in

ping "the website"

e.g ping www.google.com

then click ok

What does it say?

Also, can you give examples of sites you are having problems with

Galdavin

Ok... now it's decided to stop working again, even using a proxy to re-route everything. Calling the ISP is about as useless as tits on a bull too, so I once again come here to see if you clever people have any ideas.

I can't even ping either site, and the ISP defiantly declares that hey have no restrictions on this account, and that the two URLs www.webcadets.com and www.cadet-world.com aren't banned or blocked in any way. The only related thing I can think of, is both sites have VBulletin Forums on them, but I can access other sites with VBulletin. I've cleared cookies, temp internet files, I've done the works. Everything points back to the ISP. Even the server administrators have confirmed that I've not been barred from their end. It's definately not my firewall having a part to play in it, and it's not anything to do with my security settings in I.E 6.0

I'm so annoyed right now, because it's perplexing!

Please, ease my mind you wonderufl people! :p

When you ping the URL, what does it say, does is show the IP address?

Galdavin

Nope. When I ping either URL, it doesn't supply me with anything. It's like it times out, because the window closes itself after 15 or so seconds.

I'm not sure why the command prompt would close down, but if it isn't giving you an Ip address then it would indicate a DNS problem. You could try a different ISPs DNS servers, if you don't know how, can you post your Operating System.

By the way, is this still happening on both PCs?

Galdavin

It's still happening on both PC's, which is why I conclude that it's the ISP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online