1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access certain websites. Why?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wintings, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wintings

Wintings Thread Starter

Recently I have been unable to access certain websites, although most of the sites in my list of Favorites are OK. The "blocked" sites are, however, accessible on my wife's PC, which is on the same home network as my PC (we share the router), so the problem is obviously specific to my PC and is not a case of the website being down or being blocked by our ISP.

I have tried using several different browsers and have run CCleaner to clean a list which includes Temporary Internet Files, Internet Cache, Internet History, Cookies and DNS Cache, all to no avail. It's probably something quite simple but I've run out of ideas. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What brower(s) are you using?

What is the exact error message (or the exact symptoms if no error message)?

3. Wintings

Wintings Thread Starter

The error message in Firefox is: "The connection has timed out. The server at (name of website) is taking too long to respond." or in the case of Internet Explorer: "This page can't be displayed".

I have tried using Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly a firewall issue?

5. Wintings

Wintings Thread Starter

Thanks to a suggestion offered on another help forum I have now resolved this issue. The problem was with my hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts). I renamed it hostsbackup and was then able to access the "blocked" sites.

I record the solution here in case anyone else on this forum has a similar problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for posting your solution. Did you determine whether the Hosts file was modified by you, malware or anti-malware application?

7. Wintings

Wintings Thread Starter

No, I'm not sure what caused the hosts file to go AWOL. Certainly it was knowingly modified by me.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What were the blocked sites? Facebook, YouTube, Google...?

Entries unknowingly added to a Hosts file can come from two sources:

- Malware

- Security software (MVPS Hosts file, Spybot S & D, etc.)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice