1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access files on SATA Drive Enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elliek, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elliek

Elliek Thread Starter

I put a new hard drive in my computer, and put my old hard drive in a SATA Drive Enclosure. Dell told me I would be able to access all my old information this way, but I can find only some of it. My primary concern is that all of my son's Itunes music is gone. Is there any way to access it?

2. saikee

saikee

The data does not get lost when you put an internal hard disk into an external hard disk enclosure. If you can access one file you can access all of them.

Your problem is more to do with finding out the location where the files have been kept but no one knows it better than the owner.

3. Elliek

Elliek Thread Starter

If I knew where they were, I wouldn't be posting this. My son's iTunes music was in the iTunes program - I didn't move them. iTunes was not listed in the programs after I put the old hard drive in the enclosure.

4. saikee

saikee

What you should do is to check the folder location after you install the iTunes program on the new disk, verify it on the old disk, say by right click the folder to check its size as it has to be very large, and copy its contents into the new disk.

The title of your thread is misleading because you can access all the files.

If you do a bit of detective work by checking the size of the folders you should be able to locate it. May be an iTunes user can tell you straight away.

5. Elliek

Elliek Thread Starter

I think I found the music file. Thanks for your help. I'm all set.

6. saikee

saikee

There you are. Like I said nobody knows the hard disk contents better than its owner.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice