1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Access Full 3TB of new Seagate drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RhinoCan, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

I finally finished backing up all of my key files and upgraded my OS to Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (from SP2). I had hoped this would enable me to see the full 3 TB of the new Seagate Barricuda SATA drive that I installed this week but Windows can still only see 746.50 GB just like before the upgrade from SP2 to SP3.

I did some digging around the Seagate site and found a video that explained what I needed to do to get the full capacity of the disk recognized via the Disk Wizard software that they provide. The video shows you more or less exactly what you need to do to accomplish this. Unfortunately, the version of the program that I downloaded yesterday, Version 11.0, build 8326, doesn't look very much like the screens shown in the video. I tried very hard to make this (presumably newer) version of the program do what is done in the video but I struck out badly. I simply can't make it see beyond the 746.50 GB that Windows itself can see.

Does anyone here have any idea what I need to do to get the full use of the new drive? I paid a lot of money for this disk capacity and want to get my money's worth if I can.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a hardware expert, but it's my guess that computer is old enough that the BIOS has a limitation on hard drive capacity.

Windows XP also doesn't have native support for SATA hard drives, so that may be another issue.

Let's see if one or more hardware experts jump in to assist you.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

The computer is just over two years old. The motherboard is an ASUS M3A which supports 4 SATA drives. (The motherboard only supports SATA II, i.e. 3 GB/s, rather than the 6 GB/s of the new drive, but I was told that SATA III is backwards-compatible with SATA II, although I may have been misinformed.)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your "computer specifications":

Motherboard: AMD Athlon XP 1700+

that computer is much older than 2 years old.

You need to update your computer specifications so the wrong assumption isn't made again.

------------------------------------------------------

5. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

You're absolutely right! I've just updated the profile.

I initially set up my account here for help with my old computer, which had the configuration you saw. I had forgotten about that profile even being there, let alone that it was so inaccurate. I'm sorry for causing unnecessary confusion.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/beyond-2tb/

Well, you're using the right software to get the job done. Check out the link above for more resources and guides if you haven't been there yet.
    It's best to stick to drive capacities of 2TB or less when using XP because you are going to have to have an extra layer of driver interpretation, which is one more point of possible failure...and headache to set up!

7. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

The Seagate video which shows you how to get a 3 TB drive working with XP - http://support.seagate.com/rightnow...zard_Large_3TB_XP/DiscWizard_Large_3TB_XP.htm - finally revealed something I missed the first few times that I watched it. The version of DiscWizard that they were using was Version 13, not the Version 11 that I found on their download page. I did a bit of digging and found Version 13 semi-hidden away in a Seagate Knowledgebase article. I downloaded Version 13 and this time the screens matched the video. I was able to get _all_ of the drive visible and formatted with relatively little further grief with Version 13 of DiscWizard.

I was very pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to upgrade my OS. I had been concerned that this DiscWizard solution would only work with XP 64-bit but it looks likes its going to be fine with good old 32-bit XP Pro with SP3. I had thought I might have to upgrade my BIOS or install an add-in card to get the new SATA III drive to play nicely with my SATA II system but that doesn't appear to be necessary either. That makes me a very happy camper, assuming all goes as it seems to be going. (I'm just formatting the last chunk of the 3 TB drive so I haven't actually verified that all of the drive is accessible but I'm very optimistic now that all will be well.)

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I should have paid a little more attention to version too...the link to the DiskWizard v.13 download was on the page I posted...so close!

9. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

That link didn't exactly jump out at me either. I would probably have tried it but I stumbled on their main download page before I got that far, saw DiscWizard, and thought that I'd saved a bit of time in having to hunt for it. But then the version I downloaded didn't match the video. At that point, I went back to the main download page to see if they kept alternate versions of the program; I assumed that the video was using an OLDER version of DiscWizard because videos are less likely to be up-to-date than download pages, but found no other versions at all, older or newer, on the download page nor did I find any links to archives of other versions. At that point, I sent a support request to Seagate via email but they took their sweet time responding - almost 48 hours - and in the meantime I found the reference to Version 13 in the video. Then I googled and found version 13 on a knowledgebase article page. Only after that did I find that it had also been on the Beyond 2TB webpage.

The website should make more of an effort to emphasize the need for a special version of DiscWizard and make it clear where to find it. Then again, it was mostly just bad luck that I saw DiscWizard on the download page and downloaded it, thinking it was the version I needed....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice