1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I had some problems with my hard drive, downloaded the Maxtor diagnostics tools and was told it was toast. So I used the tools to do a low level format. Now my computer is reading the drive but I can't access it. In Disk Managemnt it is there but says "unallocated". Right clicking only shows properties (not format). Is it really toast or is there anything I can do?

2. bill.aam

bill.aam

Did you fdisk it?

If not run fdisk and reformat

3. Lightning

Lightning Guest

So the manufacturer's utility says the hard drive is bad, but you're not convinced? Do you honestly plan to put your data on this drive?

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Did not run Fdisk, just ran the format command from the utility disk. I'll try that. Thanks.

I do not believe that drive is bad. I think the data was corrupt. I only use it for storage and back up stuff on DVD once I have enough, so it's not a huge deal. If it goes bad again then I will get rid of it. Thanks.

5. JenniferRuth

JenniferRuth

Lola, I love your signature!! That's fantastic! (Sorry, not very computer related!)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Put delpart.exe on your boot floppy and run delpart.exe from the floppy boot prompt to remove all the partitions. Then use fdisk to create whatever new ones you want. Reboot into XP and format NTFS. If the drive is going, NTFS is more likely to be able to keep your data safe than FAT32.

http://www.juliatexas.com/delpart/delpart.exe

7. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I'm on windows 2000 and drive has always been NTFS. I ran FDISK and reformatted. Everything seems to be ok now. Loaded a bunch of files on to the drive and so far so good. Just wish I knew what the problem was to begin with. I'll save that delpart link if I need it again. Next time I'm going with a different brand. Thanks for all the help.

Jen - Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice