1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't access home pc from work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FESTO KGB, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Forgive me if this has already been addressed. I searched to no avail

Work PC is XP Pro on a SBS domain. Home PC is Win2K Pro on a workgroup.
    I cannot connect to my home PC from work.
    I have forwarded Ports 3389, 80 and 443 to my home PC private IP. My router/gateway is a netgear CG814WG. I am using Comcast Cable as my ISP.
    I have enabled incoming connections on the Win2k machine. I have a dynamic IP but I record the actual public IP everyday. I even created a dyndns.org host name to point to my home IP address. Nothing seems to work. I am not running any firewall other than the router's firewall.
    I have tried using Remote Desktop Connection from my work PC but nothing seems to work. I can remotely connect to my work PC from home but not the other way around. I know I am missing a step. Please help. :confused:

Thanks,

Odell

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you ping your home IP address? How exactly are you trying to "connect", with what application or service?

3. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

yes, I can ping the home pc public IP address. I am trying to connect via Remote Desktop Connection

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could there be a firewall issue? Have you disabled all the software firewalls to see if that gets you connected?

5. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

I am not running any firewall other than what is native on the router/gateway. I am running Kaspersky Antivirus but I am not aware of any firewall-like activity of that program.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure your connection at work isn't using a firewall at a server level that you may not have access to?

7. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

I am reasonably sure that is not the case. Since I can access my work desktop from home as well as the server at work, one would assume that there is nothing on the work end that would be preventing me from connecting at home. I can also remote from work other locations.

I am sure there is something I am missing on my home setup but I am not sure what it is.

Perhaps someone can walk me through how to set up a Win2k Pro system to accept incoming connections. I have forwarded the ports on my router and I can ping its public IP so I am thinking that it must be something on the PC itself.

Either I have a real stumper or I am such a noob that people are considering this a hopeless case:confused:

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are you trying to use Remote Desktop to connect TO a Windows2000 computer?

9. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Yes. I using a WinXP Pro system and work and trying to connect to my Win2k Pro system at home. In fact I have tried directly from the server which is SBS 2003

I must admit, I am surprised that this has not been solved already. I just knew one of you guys was going to give me the answer that would make me slap my head like "DUH!":eek:

I guess I feel a little better about my inability to fix this issue.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The problem is I wasn't aware of there being any Remote Desktop Host built into Windows2000 like XP has. Perhaps that's why there is no solution to this configurations.

You may be able to use some other remote control program like UltraVNC.

11. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Ok, I will give that a try. Is there some other program/protocol for a Win2K machine to be a remote host?

If I can set the system to accept incoming connections then what can I do with the incoming connection?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There are many programs that will let you remotely access a Windows2000 computer.

You may be able to use some other remote control program like UltraVNC. It's free and pretty good.

13. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help. I am marking this as solved!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice