1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't access HTP,HTPPS, FTP so No internet!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamespondfrog, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamespondfrog

jamespondfrog Thread Starter

Hi All - got a very strange bug that has cropped up this morning...

IE doesn;t connect to the internet. Infact, nothing does (skype, teamviewer, all browsers etc). It's like i have no conenction at all. However, my router shows the PC connected, the PC shows data packates going back and forward, and i can ping just about anything i want with no problems. I've turned off all firewall/AV stuff, but still no joy. IPCONFIG/all shows no problems - everything is configured as it should be. DSN seems to be behaving, just about every setting i look at is correct, but straight forward NO internet connection. Other PC's on the router are fine, and as i mentioned, i can ping all sorts of sites from the CMD prompt..

I'd love some feedback and ideas ! Thanks !

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you ever had norton or other security product on the PC - this is typical behaviour of a security suite (even if uninstalled in the past) blocking
    also a virus/malware

goto
    control panel>
    internet options>
    connection tab
    lan settings button

whats there ?

also connect to the router with a cable and try safemode with networking
    as the pc starts keep tapping F8 - a menu should appear choose
    safemode with networking
    see if that works

3. jamespondfrog

jamespondfrog Thread Starter

Safemode with networking - DID THE TRICK - FIXED !!!!!!!!

Windows diagnose connection in normal mode said everything was hunky dorey. Just for the hell of it, i ran it again when i failed to get a connection in safemode...., it found a winsock config problem which it reset, and it now works !

THANKS VERY VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so its actually working correctly in normal bootup mode - correct
    if so

(y) excellent

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice