Solved: can't access recovery partition with XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chinatown

Hi guys

I have this problem here.... I run windows XP on a HP Pavillon DV2000 Laptop
I recently tried to configure my partition to dual boot with linux Ubuntu.Everything went well and worked except that now I cant do a system reinstallation using HP's software in XP.He just can't find the recovery partition.It say's the recovery partition can't be found and no software is available to reinstall system.but wether I open Easus partition master or Partition Magic,I see the HP_Recovery partition but no letters is associated to it, only a *..... maybe that is the problem....

thank you very much

Using your partition software unhide the HP_Recovery partition and make it the Active partition. Reboot. Upon reboot the recovery procedure will initiate allowing you to reload the factory system image. You may get a choice of Destructive and NON-Destructive Recovery, use which ever is appropriate for your requirements. NON-Destructive will (should) keep your personal files intact, BUT it pays to have them backed up just in case

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you make your HP recovery DVDs ???

Chinatown

I think I lost the dvd's but I didn't know I was allowed to only one copy...
As I see this might be the best solution but will it erase my linux dual boot by doing the recovery?
Is there a way that I can just make xp recognize it as it was before without necessarely doing a restore?

thanx again!

aka Brett

Banned
Sometimes you can go into the advanced menu when booting ubuntu.
The equivalent to safe mode for windows and the recovery option will be there...its there on my moms acer

Chinatown

Ok and it should restore xp without erasing my partitions (even if I do a pc restore instead of a full XP restore)?
I will try this solution and come back with my progress

thanx guys I'm new to your site but I will recommend it because u do a great job.

aka Brett

Banned
You usually have the option for a destructive restore...this wipes out windows and files...your windows as when you first bought it.

The other is a repair..it puts on windows again so the system files are fixed and you can get to your files...some applications wont work however

I would choose the second option...copy the files i wanted to a dvd or similar...then do the first option to start fresh

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online