1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access secondary hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babba46, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

Just installed a new motherboard and fresh install of XP home. My previous OS was 98SE with the old mobo. None of the drives were changed except formatting the C drive for the new OS. Everything appears to run correctly now except I can't read or write to the D drive (which is the secondary 40 gig hard drive). I have tons of saved info on this drive and need to get to it very badly. I try to access the D drive with Windows Explorer and I get a window stating the disk in drive D is not formatted? How can I get to this info.???

PLEASE HELP!!

2. doogee

doogee

Make sure that the jumper on the back of the hard drive is set to Slave. If that doesn't work, try it in another computer.

3. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

A little more information:
    From Windows Explorer if I right click on the D drive then properties says the file system is RAW. If I do the same thing on my C drive it states FAT32. Is there a utility I can install that will allow XP to see the data on this drive? I have very important information on it.
    Thanks

4. norton850

norton850

Go to the drive manufacturer's web site. download and run the diagnostic utility for the drive.

Probably if the old OS was WINSE it doesn't matter, but what file system is on the "D" drive?

5. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the file type was FAT 32 on that drive. I used the generic Win98 default driver for it and didn't add any partitions. I used it just as an archive drive. I thought I would be clever and use it for ALL my backups and data to laod back in once I installed XP along with the new mobo. WRONG!!! I will burn CD's or DVD"s with this info. in the future IF I can get this stuff off of the drive.

I'll go to the mfg. site and check out diagnostics and repost.

Thanks. . . .

6. crazyboi1

crazyboi1

try to convert to fat 32 or download the program "get my data back"

7. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I tried the convert program in XP but it didn't recognize the "RAW" file type? I just downloaded the Maxtor drive diagnostic which gets installed on a floppy then booted from it. The write up has a warning about low level formats wipe out the data on the drive. Is anybody familiar with this program. It's Powermax for all Maxtor drives. I certainly don't want to get rid of the data on the drive. I'm not going to boot to it until I hear from someone who has used it. In the mean time I'll try to find "get my data back"

Thanks. . .

8. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

Can't seem to find this prog. "get my data back"? Who has it?

Thanks. . . .

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you have Norton System Works installed on the prior operating system?

10. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

Yes I did and I have it installed now.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

O my . .I hoped not to hear that . . you could nose around on the symantec site to see if they have any ideas . . NSW does bad things like this . . the reason I uninstall it on any XP System I encounter it on.

12. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

simpswr,
    Could you elaborate on the problem with NSW? I was accessing the drive with no problem for several years and several OS reloads (Win 98SE) up to the time I changed the mobo and went to XP. I've been using NSW for longer than that and never experienced this type of problem. XP recognizes the drive even by model number (Maxtor 5T040H4) but wont read from it. I still can't find the program Crazyboi1 referred to and I'm a little apprehensive of using Powermax (Maxtors diagnostic) due to the low level format they warn about.

I don't have another system with Windows to try this drive in. I do have an older system with Linux I could put it in?

Please help me! This drive has all my business invoices and records on it. I thought I was smart archiving information this way but what a dumb *** I turned out to be!! Very steep learning curve huh?

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most XP operating systems I have encountered with NSW have issues such as the one you are experiencing . . IMO NSW does more harm than good on a XP operating system.

just my € .02

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

Oner thing you could try . . has worked a time or so for me . . attach the old drive to the secondary controler . . the one your cd drive is on. attach it by itself, jumper to cs or master and see if you can access it.

Otherwise, I'd attach it to a win98 machine to see if you can salvage data.

shot in the dark . .

15. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I found more information on the Maxtor Powermax diagnostic and ran it. The drive passed all the tests. Is there something I did during the XP installation that could have disabled access to this drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/343786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice