1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant access system info. XP home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cvb, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Opening system information,message is cant collect info.Cannot access the windows management instrumentation software.Windows management files may be moved or missing.--Its a possabilty that some how i deleted something.This is not a critical issue,but if any of you smart people out there can get it back for me,I would sure appreciate it.Thanks loads

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

At a cmd prompt sfc /scannow

3. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

MFD thanks for the reply .But what does that mean?could you elaborate a little.

4. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Mfd followed your advice,it took 10 hours to finish scan,nothing happened.Did i do something wrong? :confused:

5. bobol

bobol

Did you download anything before this message occured? did you install/uninstall sp2 at the time? All ok in the device manager?
    Go here... http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm - and look under 'S' and then scroll down to System Information section... much information there

6. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Thanks Bobol.I did install & uninstall sp2.Will check link you sent & let you know what happened.

7. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

thanks bobol great website.Ican live with this issue. (y)

8. bobol

bobol

hehe:D...... you know how to put things in perspective! was it fixable though?

9. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Not that i could see. :)

10. bobol

bobol

11. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Thanks BOBOL,didnt work,but i have to tell you the first fix i tried under s I stopped ,because after the fifth step it said tweak the stop.There was no stop only start.I decided not to continue because i had to start deleting stuff,and not having the stop i thought it prudent to end.Just passing this along to thank you for your input.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Thanks rollin rog,I previously tried the microsoft site,got to step 6 telling me to click stop.Thats when i quit (no stop).The other site you suggested,when i tried to download,says unable to find url.Will try again Thanks.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The link is opening ok for me now.

If you go to Start > Run, enter services.msc and then highlight Windows Management Instrumentation, do you see the STOP, START, PAUSE, items in the upper left. Compare with mine.

Also try this. Doubleclick the entry to get to its properties page. What is the startup mode. Change it to automatic if anything else, then reboot.

Attached Files:

• wmi.jpg
      wmi.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
  15. cvb

cvb Thread Starter

Rog I dont know how to send what I got.Left pane says start the service.When I click start,(error message1068.)I Ran a regscrub a while back.Could that have removed whatever is needed?Went to properties was in auto.Went to dependencies tab,error( win32 the dependency service or group failed to start)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice