1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access the Net

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ivan Growth, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ivan Growth

Ivan Growth Thread Starter

Need help. Daughter can't get connection to internet. Suspect corrupted Mcafee firewall file.

Win 98 on a Dell Inspiron. SBC Yahoo DSL. Clean connection verified by
    lights and a call to SBC. Lights on a Sppedstream 5360: 1, 2, 4 on; 3 flickers as per norm.

Error message on safe mode start up or regular start up:

"Windows registry or sytem.ini file refers to the device file but file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup
    Program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling
    that application to replace the missing file.
    MpFireW1.VxD"

Her internet conneciton was fine. Quit connecting when she installed the
    Mcafee firewall (don't get me started; I had alread installed Z/A but their sales pitch
    worked and she turned off Z/A and installed Mcafee's firewall). Since installing the Mcafee F/w, she can't
    connect to the internet.

What I have done:

1. Uninstalled McA f/w thru "add/remove." The error message is now what gets
    generated.
    2. Did a search on google. McAfee has a pdf which says, 'we know there are
    some incompatabilities when you try and remove....edit registry by deleting
    these two files." Did that and didn't touch anything else in registry. No connection. No fix, despite following there remove instructions to the "t."
    3. Tried netscape, mozilla, and IE browsers. None will connect to internet. "Internet
    connection unavailable." Signal is clearly there.
    4. Ran modem test: Registery, pass; modem, pass; dial-tone - warning - no dialtone
    detected.
    5. Reinstalled Win 98 - twice - getting good at it
    6. Reinstalled SBC Yahoo connection software
    7. Did a file search and blew out every file with the word Mcafee on it.

I give up. Ideas?

TIA, Ivan

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Since you've reinstalled Windows, the problem is likely to be with the winsock2 protocols that don't get replaced during a reinstall. McAfee may have left something there or possibly corrupted them all together.

But first, since I don't know just where in the registry this is, even though I don't think it is causing the problem, try getting rid of it:

MpFireW1.VxD

Go to Start > Run, enter regedit

From within the registry editor, select Edit > Find and enter that file name. Hit find next. Right click on and delete any hits. Hit f3 to continue the search when done.

Next try downloading and copying over the the system this "lspfix" application. Run it and just have it do a "default" fix.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If I knew what to look for, I'd tell you what to move to the "remove" window. You can "google" search the "dlls" you see and if any belong to McAfee, you can move those manually to "remove" and check "I know what I am doing".

(possible cslsp.dll or mclsp.dll)

If all else fails, follow the directions here to reinstall the Winsock2 files:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/dialers/dun_1.3/5289.psc.html

Heck you could even start with that....

3. Ivan Growth

Thank you for such a quick, thorough response.

My daughter lives cross-city. I have printed out your response as well as downloaded the suggested files.

Thanks and I will let you know the end of the story.

Ivan

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good luck. The "Earthlink" instructions should restore all default tcp/winsock entries which would not be restored in a reinstall, since some changes to them are often legitimately associated with installed programs, and so are preserved.

It's a tedious undertaking though...

5. Ivan Growth

Rollin' Rog,

I haven't forgotten you. Followed your instructions to a T- and finally had success by blowing out the winsock entries.

We have a connection, Thanks, Ivan

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, good to hear and you're most welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice